32 year old cleft patient to answer any questions you have.

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

32 year old cleft patient to answer any questions you have.

Postby amorley » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:25 am

Hi. My name is Amy. I am 32 years old and was born with bilateral cleft lip and palate. I have had more surgeries than I can even remember with my first one being at 10 days old. I had my bone graft done the summer before I started 5th grade so I would have been 10. I had my jaw surgery at age 19 and that was the last procedure I've had. My surgeon wanted me to have more but finally at that point I was sick of it and told my parents I was happy the way I was. I am happily married (6.5 years) to an amazing man and we are wanting to start our own family and one question I'm always asked is how would I feel if I had a child with cleft? My response is that is one thing I'm not even worried about because if it were to happen I of all people would understand and know what to expect. Where as when I was born neither of my parents knew what cleft was and they did an amazing job raising me! I remember from a very young age my parents telling me I was no different than anyone else and they never allowed me to feel sorry for myself because of my cleft I never let it define who I was or what I could or couldn't do. I'd love to get to know people and families that have also been affected with cleft as I do not know anyone else in my daily life that has. I am also willing to answer and and all questions you may have for me.
I look forward to getting to know you all!
:)
Amy
amorley

Re: 32 year old cleft patient to answer any questions you ha

Postby mazimono » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:26 am

Hi, Amy,

Thanks for sharing your story. You certainly have a nice, positive perspective on all that you have been through. I had my first child at your age and he was born with Pierre Robin Sequence-- his story is here on SMILES (Theodoros). I was born with a cleft palate only and had one surgery to repair it at one year of age. I now have 4 children; only Theo was born with this problem. I am a former special education teacher, but I must say that I was not fully prepared to deal with Theo's PRS issues since we had no idea that he would be born with any problems. He is now a healthy 15 year old and we are thankful that we had such wonderful doctors and nurses at Kings' Daughters Hospital.

Thank you again for sharing your story. I wish you and your family all the best.

Fondly,
Mary Ann
Mary Ann Zimonopoulos
mazimono

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate