Getting rid of pacifier before surgery, help!!

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Getting rid of pacifier before surgery, help!!

Postby Carson's Mom » Thu May 29, 2008 12:22 am

This is my first time posting a topic on this wonderful site! I've learned so much already just from reading everyone else's posts and answers. Our son, Carson will be having his cleft lip surgery on July 3rd. About a month ago, when we met with the surgeon, they told us that Carson would have to be weaned off of his pacifier before his surgery. Well, this has been a nightmare! He's so attached to it, because he's had it since birth. We're trying to only give it to him at nap times and if he has a major melt down, but it's so hard because it's his comfort thing. I have read that some parents suggest going ahead and giving it to your child because after their surgery they don't want anything around their mouth. Is this true? Any suggestions or encouraging words would be welcome! I'm about at the end of my rope :shock:
Carson's Mom

Postby Babyk » Thu May 29, 2008 7:39 am

We did not have to do anything.....after his lip repair Avery wanted nothing to do with his pacifier. He only took it at bedtime anyway and then it had to be upside down to accommodate his cleft. He is only just now, four months later, taking it again and he just pretty much uses it as a teether to chew on. Our surgeon never said we had to get rid of it, just that for a period of time after surgery he would not be able to have anything in his mouth.

Maybe it will work out on it's own.......good luck!
Babyk
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby heather » Thu May 29, 2008 11:39 am

The only thing that Eyson's PS wanted him to do was to not have his pacifier after his lip surgery until everything was completely healed up. After that he was free to have it back. He absolutely loved his, too. My only question is if the pacifier is sucked on or just bitten. There was no problem with Eyson having his pacifier because he didn't suck on it. He only bit it.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi & Welcome! This has been a wonderful website for me over the past 2 years. We are done with our surgery and I too, had a little boy VERY attached to his pacifier before surgery. That was my biggest worry before surgery.....I wasn't sure how we would make it without a pacifier! I found that after surgery his little mouth was so sore that he didn't really want anything near it, much less the pacifier. Our PS said that he could have it back after the first 3 weeks, but I found that he wouldn't even take it then, so we never went back. I wouldn't worry too much, I know it seems impossible, but those things will take care of themselves!
Good luck and keep us posted!
Allison S.
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Thanks!

Postby Carson's Mom » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:49 pm

That's so reassuring! I'm hoping we have the same experience as the rest of you. That would be wonderful! The surgery is exactly a month from today. It won't be long now.
Carson's Mom

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate