getting rid of the bottle

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

getting rid of the bottle

Postby max's mom » Tue May 27, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi - we are new! What a wonderful and informative site!!! I'm so glad I found this. Just wondering if anyone has some tips on how to get rid of the bottle (we have palate repair surgery coming up on June 16). Max will take the sippy and throw it or push it away. He won't drink anything (which can take all day) until I give in and give him is bottle.

Just to fill you in - Max has PRS with bil cleft palate. He just turned 1 on May 15. He had jaw distraction surgery last year at this time.

We are also having tons of problems with ear infections(even with tubes) and failing hearing tests. I guess they aren't doing their job so will be redone at his surgery next month. Anyone else worried about hearing loss?
max's mom

Postby Babyk » Wed May 28, 2008 7:09 am

Avery had tubes put in his ears in January with his lip repair. We just had an ABR hearing test performed (sedated) to get a baseline for future reference. He shows some significant hearing loss in one ear, even with the tubes, and will be retested after his palate repair in July. Hopefully it will be improved once the palate is closed and the fluid problem is resolved.
Babyk
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby heather » Thu May 29, 2008 11:33 am

Hearing improves greatly once the palate is closed. Eyson failed every hearing test until he had his palate repaired. As far as the sippy cup goes, I got Eyson off of the bottle by rewarding him for using his sippy cup. His PS wasn't that concerned with getting him off the bottle before surgery. He used the pigeon nipples and only bit on them anyway. There was no great worry of him hurting his repair because he didn't suck on the bottle. He used his bottle until he was 15 months of age but I did give him a sippy cup also during that time. The reward I used was occasionally making the sippy cup with chocolate or strawberry milk or his favorite juice. He refused the sippy as well for the longest time. It's just something that you have to battle with them. It takes alot of persistence. They don't want to have to change their norm and they'll fight it. I don't know what kind of sippy cup you are using, but the Nuk soft spout worked the best for Eyson. He was able to bite the nipple to make the milk come out. He still has no ability to suck the sippy, though. As far as that goes I'm not sure how to teach that.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby max's mom » Fri May 30, 2008 9:46 am

Thanks that really makes me feel so much better knowing that hearing loss might not be permanent. And also thanks for the milk tip, I'm going to try adding the chocolate to it tonight!!!
max's mom

Postby Babyk » Fri May 30, 2008 11:11 am

I also like hearing that we can expect improvement after the palate is closed.
Babyk
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

диеты екатерины миримановой

Postby ererBoife » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 am

диеты певзнера диеты южного пляжа

диеты трехдневные диеты инны
ererBoife
Support Member
Support Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate