mia's surgery update

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

mia's surgery update

Postby mia's mom » Wed May 07, 2008 5:36 pm

well mia had her surgery yesterday morning. It was the hardest day of my life. Handing her over to people that you hope were on the top of their game was hard. Luckily every one came over to assure me that they would take very good care of her. She was hysterical when she woke up- I was told that was normal though. During the day she was just crying on and off and sleeping. She took a few sips of water and that was about it. This morning was a little tough too because she was crying everytime someone came into the room. She pepped up quite a bit when we got home at 1. She was even trying to dance and has laughed a few times. She is just having her first meal- 2 yogurts and four big tablespoons of this chicken/vegetable puree I make her. Yesterday was awful but today is much better than I ever expected. Thanks so much to everyone for their advice. I felt I was prepared for how she would look/act like after her surgery. I wasn't surprised or upset about the tongue string or the bloody discharge, because I read it here first. I appreciate the many months of support you all have provided me. She's still got a way to go, but today is a good day for us. Thanks again, sandy
mia's mom
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby Babyk » Thu May 08, 2008 9:40 am

Wow! Glad to hear that everything went okay. We have surgery scheduled in July and I am already a wreck!!!

Since Avery has a g-tube we won't have to fight the feeding battle but I am worried about the pain......

Keep us updated!

Kelle
Babyk
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Thu May 08, 2008 10:26 am

I've been thinking of you guys and waiting to hear an update. Sounds like Mia came through like a champ! (and Mom too) Congratulations on getting over the hump! I hope Mia gets better and better each day! And now you can breathe a sigh of relief......
Allison S.
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

congratulations

Postby Heide » Thu May 08, 2008 4:39 pm

thank you for the update and I am happy to hear that she is doing so well.
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Happy to hear

Postby michellebeau » Fri May 09, 2008 2:40 pm

I logged in today hoping to get an update on princess Mia! I'm so glad that her surgery went well. I know how difficult the first couple of days can be but just know that each day will get better and less painful.
I wish Mia a quick recovery.

Warm regards,
Michelle
Michelle Beau
michellebeau

Postby mia's mom » Sat May 31, 2008 12:07 am

thanks to all. Its been a while since I've been here. It is now 3 1/2 weeks after her surgery. I can't believe it really. I cried for 11 months straight before the surgery and here it is done and over with. It was actually only the first day and a half that it was bad. By mother's day, 5 days later, she was great. they only gave her tylenol at the hospital (to my horror- i'm like, don't you have anything stronger?) but it worked just fine I found, and she was off the tylenol at home by mother's day. its amazing really. Now I'm fixated on her speech and hearing issues. My husband says she has selective hearing but I'm concerned. she is having a hearing test at the end of the month. for speech, all she says is "ma ma ma" and that is it. I guess she says "ga" but nto consistently. I'll give it more time and then if she still hasn't said more words, I'll call the early intervention program again. hope you all are doing well. sandy
mia's mom
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

question about tongue string

Postby Carson's Mom » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm so happy for you that everything seems to be going well. I just joined. Did Mia have her palate surgery? My son Carson won't have his until Dec. or Jan. I had a question about the tongue string. What is that exactly?
Carson's Mom

Postby mia's mom » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:29 am

Hi there- mia had a bilateral cleft - it was a complete cleft of the hard and soft palates. It was really a huge cleft. when doctors looked in her mouth, all of them, honestly, would be shocked. It was always like a knife in my heart when a doctor would say "wow". My PS used a string through her tongue to prevent her tongue from falling backward and closing off her airway. He said it was just like an ear or tongue piercing. It is just meant to insure that, if her tongue did slip back, we could just pull on the string to get it out. We never had to do that at all thankfully. The string is pretty long and it goes from the tip of her tongue, out of her mouth, and was taped to the side of her chin. it annoyed her very much. they took out the string the next morning about 8 am. It was amazingly easy to do- just clip it at the part that is taped to her chin and pull on it- it looked like it almost fell out, two seconds really. Once the string came out, she drank a little more. Hope this helps. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. Sandy
mia's mom
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate