Palette Surgery Experience

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Palette Surgery Experience

Postby jstupak » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:19 am

My daughter, Ava, had her palette repair on February 28th. I always liked to read other parents surgery experiences. It helped me over the last year - so I wanted to share. She was the first – so we had to be there at 6:00 am. The one thing that was so much harder than her lip repair was that she recognizes the hospital immediately – (her cleft team is located in the hospital). So as soon as we arrived – she started crying and continued throughout most of the check-in process. I brought a photo album of pictures that helped pass the time and seemed to calm her down. About ten minutes before they took her – they gave her medicine to calm her down. So when they actually took her she was feeling pretty good – but she still cried a little. (But it could have been much worse.)

The surgery took about 4.5 hours. When we got to recovery – she was crying hysterically. Once I held her – she calmed down a bit. She was on morphine, and they gave her Tylenol before she woke up so they assured me she was not in much pain. The nurse said she is mostly mad because of the arm restraints. I have read that a lot of surgeons do a tongue stitch; well our surgeon did not do that. Instead, they left a tub in her nose overnight – in case of swelling or if she had problems breathing. She also hated that! When they took it out the following morning – I was surprised at how long the tube was. No wonder she hated it! When we got to her room – she cried on and off for a few hours. The nurse decided to give her Tylenol with codeine. Once she had that – she fell fast asleep and slept pretty soundly the first night. (With the exception of medicine time.) The most annoying part of the hospital was that they checked her vitals every two hours. So just when we got her settled – they were in again. Anytime Ava heard a nurse – even if they were there for the child sharing our room she would cry.

Her surgery was on Thursday – she finally drank on Saturday so we were home by Saturday afternoon. My suggestion – she was so upset in her room, that we took her to the playroom and downstairs to walk around. Once she started playing, I gave her the sippy cup, and she drank. Our biggest challenge was once we got home, she was starving. She climbed the fridge to try to get to the bananas. She was on liquids for the first week. Another suggestion – I wish I would have given her liquid yogurt, smoothies, etc. a bit before surgery because she hated them. She wanted her real food. But by the following Wednesday – she was cleared for baby food and yogurt which made our lives much easier. She just had her two week appointment – and was cleared for real food. (minus foods with sharp edges.)

All in all – this surgery was much harder than the lip repair, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be. We had really one rough week. Sorry this is so long – but I know other parents stories helped me. If you have any questions – I would be happy to help!!

Jenna
jstupak

Postby Babyk » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:35 am

We have palate surgery scheduled for July 9 and everyone keeps telling us that compared to lip repair it is a breeze. I have no idea what to expect.
Babyk
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby mia's mom » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:07 pm

thank you for posting. Mia's surgery is may 6th and my stomach's all in knots over it. thanks
mia's mom
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate