Need some advice

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Need some advice

Postby tkebino » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:45 pm

I asked back in November about adenoids being remove but I still need help.

EJ's adenoids are so enlarged that it effects his breathing. I have been advised that they need to go. The PS has said no way never remove them. EJ wakes every night due to his breathing and it even effects his speech because he has to thrust his tongue forward to move the air. Is there anyone on here that has had the adenoids remove and what were the results?

TIA
Tracy
DD Jessica 1/18/00
DS EJ(Eddie) 5/18/05 Cleft of Soft Palate
tkebino
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:43 pm

We have the same issue! I spoke with the PS about it at our last cleft visit, and he said that as long as it was an ENT that was familiar with clefts, that he would be okay with it. He suggested maybe only removing a portion of the adenoids and not the whole thing. I think I remember him saying that the portion touching the palate should remain. Jackson's main problem with his adenoids, is that his sinuses don't drain properly, so he ALWAYS has sinus congestion and a runny nose. It hasn't affected his breathing so far, so we've decided to wait and see if he grows out of the sinus problems. But, it did make me feel better to know that it wasn't "all or nothing". They can just be "partially" removed to decrease the risk of speech issues. Hope that helps!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby tkebino » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:32 pm

Thanks Allison!! Our ENT said he could remove half. That makes me feel a lot better knowing that someone else said half, even better hearing it from a PS.
Tracy
DD Jessica 1/18/00
DS EJ(Eddie) 5/18/05 Cleft of Soft Palate
tkebino
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate