What do I feed my son now that he can eat soft foods?

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

What do I feed my son now that he can eat soft foods?

Postby rainhawk » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:54 pm

I am a bit confused as to what I should be feeding my son now that his cleft repair is 7 weeks old ( Jan 10th). Ive basically been feeding him soft baby cereals, pureed fruits and veggies. (I had already exposed him to a lot of foods already by putting them in his bottle). What should I feed him next, and the length of time in between?
rainhawk

Postby jacksmom » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:24 pm

Sounds like you're on the right track with the fruits and veggies. Mashed potatoes,applesauce, steamed carrots and mac and cheese were big hits around our house. I think after about 6 weeks post op, we started back snacks like gerber fruit puffs, and cheese puffs. You could always call back to the PS and find out what they suggest if you have questions.
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby mellyott » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:23 pm

Some things to try are yogurt, bananas, mangoes, beans (black beans, baked beans, lima beans), cheese (shredded is our daughter's favorite), if he can suck a smoothie, diced cooked potatoes, she loved feeding herself peas, vegetable soup (drained it is a great finger food). I hope this is helpful to you. Ask your pediatrician or plastic surgeon if you have any questions, that is what they are there for.
mellyott

Postby rainhawk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:12 am

thanks everyone for your reply. Devon is doing well, and getting some fat on his cheeks finally!
rainhawk

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate