question about cleft team

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

question about cleft team

Postby Bailliejo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:46 pm

We go to Omaha, NE Boystown cleft team. We are not very happy with our PS. My husband works with a man that has a son with a cleft and their team is in Des Monies, IA. I was wondering if anyone would know if we can change teams after already having one? We really don't feel comfortable with our plastic surgeon, and would like to change. I hope someone has some advise. Thanks
Bailliejo

Cleft Teams

Postby LanesMemee » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:22 pm

My grandson was born with a BCLP. We saw three different cleft teams in three different states before finding the one we were most comfortable with. As long as your insurance covers the surgeon you choose there should not be a problem. Trust your instincts and keep looking until you completely trust your surgeon. Feel free to email me if you have any questions that I can answer for you.
Daphne Sellers,
Grandmother to Lane, 6/29/06, BCLP
Wicksburg, Alabama
LanesMemee

Postby jacksmom » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:30 pm

I second what Daphne said. Never settle for a doctor you're not 100% satisfied with. There are lots of other teams out there, and sometimes it is worth sacrificing a little convenience to find someone you can be happy with. Our baby's outcomes are in our hands! Good Luck!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby heather » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:37 am

I third that motion. Never settle when it comes to your children. Find a surgeon you are 100% comfortable with. If you have to travel a little to find the best, then that's what you have to do. We only had to travel a little over an hour to find Eyson's surgeon. His name is Dr. Albert Woo and he works out of the St. Louis Children's Hospital. He is an absolutely wonderful surgeon, which you can probably tell by Eyson's picture, and such a sweet man. He really made us feel so comfortable knowing that my child was in his care. So shop around...it's worth it.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate