not a cleft palate issue but just in case you know...

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

not a cleft palate issue but just in case you know...

Postby mia's mom » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:53 pm

I'm concerned about Mia's feet. They turn in alot. Her legs are bent, her heels stick out and her feet turn in. Her old pediatrician said that she would naturally straighten her feet when she started to put weight on them. Well now she's started to stand on her own and her feet are turned in as she stands. I thought that I read that someone was experiencing this with their child but it could have been at a different board. thanks sandy

ps- i don't think my pm function works in case someone tries to respond that way
mia's mom
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby chicka-monkey » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:11 pm

Take her to a foot doctor. They have feet doctor for children. One of my children sees one. Pediatricians have general knowledge, but not specific knowledge. It sometimes takes awhile to get into one so call tomorrow. Ask for a referral from your pediatrician.
Carrie (user name chicka-monkey)

DD - 6/9/96
DS - 7/6/04
DD - 11/3/05 ~ bilateral cleft lip & palate ~
chicka-monkey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Linda S S » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:24 pm

The name for a foot doctor is podiatrist. A orthopedist is a bone doctor and might be another option.
Linda S S
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby heather » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:21 pm

That may have been me that you saw having experience with it. My daughter, Kodie, was extremely pigeon-toed and has one leg that is slightly shorter than the other. She is very clumsy because she walks around herself alot. That sounds like your situation as well. She is seen by Shriner's Hospital. We were told to see if she would outgrow it. As she has gotten older it has corrected itself quite a bit. But I will be taking her back here shortly to get re-evaluated on her progress. I would suggest getting a referral from your pediatrician to be seen at Shriner's. The only other thing to do after that is to get an actually Shriner member to sponsor you. It's not hard. I found one to sponsor her almost immediately. They are more than happy to help any child in need. Shriner's also does it free of charge. That was what helped me out. Money's really tight, you know. Look into it. Kodie doesn't require any surgery or braces right now. They are very, very knowledgeable. You may be told the same good news as I was. Hope I helped. Heather
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:16 am

Sandy, my oldest child had the same problem. Foot problems run in our family! Both of my boys have been seeing an orthopedic doctor since they were six months old. I am really not a fan of the "wait and see approach" I think the earlier you can get help, the better. We started Griffin in physical therapy around 20 months, and he is doing much better. The ortho doctor didn't really seem to think that it would make a difference, and I told them that if there ANY chance that it may help, that we wanted him in therapy. He has even been surprised at the difference it has made for Griffin. Jackson of course was in casts for six months. (He was dx with vertical talus...an entirely different issue) He still sees PT twice weekly. They really have some great stretches and techniques that can help with straightening their feet. They may even suggest her sleeping in a brace. If the ortho doctor thinks PT would help, you could always apply for it through EI. I think I would definitely see ortho, just for reassurance. Good luck!
Allison
P.S...I messaged you back about EI. I hope you were able to get it. Thanks for your help!
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby mia's mom » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:33 pm

thanks guys. I have an appointment with the pediatrician in two weeks. This is a new one. The other guy was useless. Its frustrating... you know there is an issue but trying to get someone to listen to you is sometimes a problem! thanks for the support and advice. Sandy

allison- I did get your message so maybe the issue is fixed. I wrote you back. Sandy
mia's mom
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate