Stuffy nose.

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Stuffy nose.

Postby scaredmother » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:17 pm

Ever since Andrew had his palate repaired he's had a stuffy nose. At first I figured that it was just due to surgery, but now it's been a weak and it's still stuffy. I asked his PS yesterday about and all he really had to say was that is because he's (His body) not used to having both a nose and a mouth. I've tried putting a vaporizer in is room with the medicated liquid, I tried the baby Vick's on his chest, and even sucked out his nose over a dozen times. Nothing seems to help. Have any of you gone through this and if so what have you done to try and fix it? I know having a stuffy/runny nose is part of being a kid, but he has such a hard time sleeping. I try to keep him elevated, or on his side. Even had him sleep in his swing. None of which helps much. We need sleep. Help!
ImageImage
scaredmother

Postby heather » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Eyson had the stuffy nose after his palate surgery. His PS said that it was due to all the swelling. It seemed to last about a week and a half and after that everyday was a little better. The swelling just needs time to go down. In the meantime, elevate his mattress when he sleeps and just try to make him as comfortable as possible.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Babyk » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Avery is having the same issue...but after just the lip/nose repair. We cannot believe the amount of stuff we are suctioning out multiple times daily!

I guess it is nice to hear that this is 'normal' but how long does it last? Avery had his surgery January 14th.
Babyk
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Linda S S » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:13 am

My sister was told that my niece would sound different (hoarse/stuffy) for about a week after her UCL surgery due to the anesthesia and due to having the tube down her throat.
Linda S S
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:34 pm

Jackson had the same problem after his palate repair. Our PS gave us some decongestant nose drops to use a couple of times a day. I mainly used them at night to help him sleep better. It lasted about a week and a half, and then he was fine. Glad to hear that other than that, he is doing well!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby rainhawk » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:07 am

my son Devon had his palate repaired January 10th 2008. he is now 12mo and 3 weeks. He did not sleep well either for the first 2 weeks. I caught a cold while at the hospital with him, and gave it to him. Poor kid couldn't sleep between the nose discharge, stuffiness, arm splints, and teething. I was driving him to sleep for every nap. After 2-3 weeks I finally just let him cry it out in the crib, for he wouldn't stay asleep after bringing him in from the truck. One thing I do keep up is the Hyland's teething tablets- they seem to help. I also double his diaper at night, and I have a radiator heater that i kitty cornered behind his bed, for the central heating wakes him up whenever It turns on. I have also stoped putting on his arm splints at night when I give him a bottle to put him to sleep. I do put them on if he doesn't fall asleep to the bottle.
rainhawk

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate