Question about Pacifier

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Question about Pacifier

Postby jstupak » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:31 pm

My daugher is scheduled for palette surgery in two weeks. We finally got her off of her bottle and accepting a sippy cup. She also uses a pacifier to fall asleep - and mostly through the night, (she learned to hold it herself). I have read that the pacifier situation works itself out, since they don't want anything in there mouth anyway. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I also break her of the pacifier too? I just hate to torture her so close to the surgery. The bottle was a long enough battle.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
jstupak

Postby scaredmother » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:52 am

Ask he PS. Mine told me that Andrew could still have his after surgery, but then mine also let him continue to use a bottle.
ImageImage
scaredmother

Postby ssmehyl » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:52 pm

Hey. Funny you replied to mine and I'm replying to yours. ha!
Bauer liked to sleep with his pacifier too. Cold Turkey worked for us. It was fussy fussy for about 2-3 days and then he just stopped wanting it. Or he may have just realized he wasn't going to have it any more.
We had to go through the whole cry it out for about 3 nights and then he was fine. first night was about 45 min. second night - 20-25 and the third night wasn't too much crying. It was sooooo worth it.

stacy
ssmehyl

Postby Babyk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:35 pm

Avery has refused his pacifier since his lip repair and we don't intend to reintroduce it if we can help it. He seems to have replaced it with his thumb for the time being.

This may be a problem for us after palate surgery!
Babyk
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate