Speech therapy evaluation

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Speech therapy evaluation

Postby heather » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:47 pm

The therapist met with Eyson the other day and determined that he didn't need speech therapy. I was extremely surprised since he doesn't say anything more than MA at 15-months of age. I don't think not giving him any help is the best thing. He obviously needs therapy. Even his pediatrician says so. I don't know what else to do because I am extremely low income and I can't afford anything. The state program is what I was going through because it was covered under the insurance. I pretty much feel that he's being pushed to the side because they've got to full of a load to take anymore. I'm doing as much as I can to try and help him but he doesn't even try to repeat anything. He has no interest in talking. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm just a little upset about their decision.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Linda S S » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:08 pm

I don't know what to tell you about how to convince them to give him speech therapy. Besides working on saying actual words there are many things that work on associated with speech. Among others they involve turn taking, blowing bubbles, pinwheels, etc, sucking through a straw, vocal sound effects, play in front of mirrors, etc. Perhaps you can borrow some children's sign language books or videos from your local library. Studies have found that learning some signs helps with speech. "More" is one sign that children pick up on quickly. Two of my NCA nephews were late talkers and learned some sign language before they began talking. I taught the oldest "more" when he and my sister were visiting and that quickly replaced whining. One of the kids I work with likes to have his feet massaged. We play a game where I massage his feet and respond to his signs for "more" and "stop". Does Eyson wave "bye-bye", shake his head "no", point, or reach for you to pick him up? The Carolina Curriculum provides an idea of when typical kids generally achieve various skills related to speech. Let me know if you want specifics.
Linda S S
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby mia's mom » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:09 pm

Heather if the state program is the early intervention program (which is sounds like it is) you have due process rights to challenge the decision. The service coordinator should have explained that to you. Here in NY, if you disagree with the evaluation, you can ask for a hearing. At the hearing, you can bring statements from your doctor and whatever else you think is necessary (for example if you have insurance that covers a few speech therapy visits, you can have him evaluated by another therapist, then bring that therapists evaluation to the hearing to contradict the state therapists determination). These rights are not specific to NY- the early intervention program is a federal program and all states have to give due process rights no matter where you live. Hope this helps. Sandy
mia's mom
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby jacksmom » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:33 pm

Heather, as you and I have talked about before, I have the same issues with Jackson. The only real word he says is still Mama. He tries to say other things but it really all sounds the same. He is not much older than Eyson, and has been in therapy for about 7 months. I'm surprised they said Eyson was not delayed, because at our recent cleft clinic visit, the speech pathologist was very concerned about Jackson and even recommended increasing his speech therapy to twice a week. (He has it 3 times a month right now) Early Intervention is saying that they don't have the resources to provide it that often, so now we are looking into a few outpatient places, but I am concerned about what insurance will cover and how Jackson will respond to two different therapists. He is very shy around strangers.
Anyway, Jackson does know lots of sign language and that does seem to help with figuring out what he wants. Our speech therapist mainly works on getting him to imitate mouth movements, even simple stuff like sticking out his tongue. And then trying to get him to imitate simple sounds. It's nothing really that you can't do on your own. But if you are concerned, I would definitely appeal their decision. Good luck!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby heather » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:24 am

I have been working with him on my own with using some sign language. We have only been doing it for a very short while and he has already learned milk. So at least I'm not guessing when he wants something to drink. I'm going to talk to his pediatrician and see what else she recommends since she was the one that wanted him to start speech therapy. It's just so frustrating. I know that he needs the help and I'm doing all that I can to help him, but getting no help from those that are much more qualified to do so.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate