eating before palate surgery

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

eating before palate surgery

Postby ssmehyl » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:11 am

Hi everyone. Anybody have any personal advice about the stages of eating before palate surgery. My son is able to eat veggies and fruits now, but I'm not sure if we should do that. Will we be able to feed him with these foods soon after his surgery? Are most of you leaving these things out until after the healing process from the surgery? Just wondering what experience you guys have had. Also what about table foods?
Thanks. You all are wonderful
ssmehyl

Postby heather » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:58 pm

My son Eyson ate all soft, mooshy foods like sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, oatmeal, you know all that kind of thing. Almost immediately following his surgery he moved up to eating chunky foods. He could take the soft toddler foods such as ravioli, vegetables and fruits. He was fed with a syringe for a day or two having nothing outside of yogurt, potatoes, and cream of wheat. After those two days he was ready to eat some real food. He took to table food with no problem at all. He was so ready to eat something other than cream of wheat.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:32 pm

We were able to spoon feed Jackson immediately after his surgery. Eating with a spoon seemed to be much easier on him than "sucking" on a bottle. Since baby food is mostly made of water, it will also help to keep him from getting dehydrated. He should be able to go right back to his normal soft foods, so if he's doing good with them now, I would just keep it up. Sounds like he's doing great!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate