soft sipp bottle

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

soft sipp bottle

Postby mia's mom » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:57 pm

has anyone used these for after the cleft palate surgery? I'm just wondering if they work. If they do, I was thinking of getting them now and using them every so often (a couple times a week) so Mia gets used to them and will know what to do with it after the surgery. Thanks

here is their website:
http://www.zip-n-squeeze.com/softsipp.html
mia's mom
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby jacksmom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:58 am

Sandy, I know a couple of people who used these after surgery, but I also have a friend who's PS said to definitely NOT use them, so I would take a picture to your visit tomorrow and ask to PS what he thinks! I guess it is always better to be on the safe side!
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby heather » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:46 pm

We were told not to put anything into Eyson's mouth after the surgery from fear of ripping open the stitches. His PS allowed him to use his bottle after surgery since he only bit the nipple instead of sucking on it. I think you should ask your PS what they think. All are different in their opinions but I wouldn't want to take the chance of breaking open the stitches and having to be back in the hospital.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby mia's mom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:12 pm

thanks ladies. I thought it was a lifesaver.... My PS said she needs to be on a sippy cup but she doesn't seem to be taking to it. I'm just so stressed about how I'm going ot feed her. I guess we'll just make it through though. I'll bring the picture with me tomorrow and see what my PS says. thanks.
mia's mom
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby Augiesmom » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:03 pm

We tried to use the soft sipp bottle after our son's palate repair last June. He didn't want anything to do with it (he was not in the mood to try anything new) and eventually due to dehydration concerns we were allowed to use the haberman nipple again. The soft sipp has such a soft flexible tip that I doubt it would do any harm to stitches but I would definitely check with your PS to get the ok.
augustus "augie" (born 8/5/06 BCLP)
lip repair (11/21/06)
palate repair (06/21/07)
Augiesmom

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate