Lip Adhesion surgery- extra surgery that delays lip/nose

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Lip Adhesion surgery- extra surgery that delays lip/nose

Postby MinnMama » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:26 am

Hello again from Minnesota!

Our baby girl will be born via c-section in 10 days Jan 17th. She is said to have a wide unilateral cleft. It has been hard to totally diagnose even With 4d ultrasounds. We are hoping for the best and that the palate is not involved, but we are prepared for it.
On one hand I am so excited to have our little pumpkin here and on the other I am scared b/c of all the decisions we'll need to make and all the potential problems.

One of the Plastic Surgeons we've interviewed wants to do the surgery's as follows:
1st. 3 mo- just lip adhesion
2nd 6 mo lip and nose corrective plastic surgery
3rd palate surgery at 9-12 month

Has anyone had their surgery's done in this order??

What do you know about doing the adhesion before the actual lip/ nose repair??

To me, it seems to delay the repair of the child until 6 months and would seem to leave room for the lip to tear.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks, Michelle
We are expecting a 4th child- a girl who will be born with a cleft lip and palate. Looking for any advice out there in Minnesota!
MinnMama

Postby jacksmom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:45 pm

Michelle, a friend of mine uses Dr. Mulliken in Boston, and he uses that approach. She also knows of several others who have used him and had wonderful results. She is traveling all the way from Alabama to see him!
Her daughter has had her lip adhesion done and will have her second surgery on Jan. 22. I'm sure she would be happy to talk with you about it. Just send me a message, and I'll get you her email.
She also has a carepage at www.carepages.com You have to register and then the carepage name is BabyFord. There are also lots of other carepages that have great before and after photos and other info. Just go to the directory and search for clefts. You should also consider making one for your new arrival. It is a great way to keep friends and family posted. OK...now that I have sounded like an ad for carepages...... :roll:
Congrats on your new little one! I'm sure things will go just fine. It is amazing how quickly you will not even notice her differences. She will be beautiful! Keep us posted on her arrival!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate