post palate repair

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

post palate repair

Postby mellyott » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:33 pm

My daughter had her surgery Dec. 20. The surgery was shorter than expected. (We were not told ahead of time she would still have a small hole behind her teeth, so be prepared for that.) It was rough at first, she wouldn't eat or drink anything. After two days we were ok to go home, she was doing fine without the IV finally. She was a miracle. She was back to herself quite quickly. She would wake up in the middle of the night crying, but go right back to sleep, I think because she was uncomfortable and couldn't suck her thumb. She slept her usual 10-12 hours after two nights at home. She took two 2-3 hour naps a day. Eating was a challenge only because she was picky, she basically lived on yogurt and milk from a syringe. After a while she would drink from her Nuby cup. She was smiling and talking, laughing and playing like usual before we even got home from the hospital. We weren't home bound as expected. I hope this gives some of you encouragement. We were expecting the worst, and overall everything went well. It has now been 2 1/2 weeks and she has been cleared by the dr. she can sleep in her bed and take off the arm splints YAY! (We only used the arm splints when she slept, she was very good about keeping things out of her mouth.)
mellyott

Postby scaredmother » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:12 pm

Question... in you post you stated at the end that she could finally sleep in her own bed. Where did she sleep before, and was this at the request of the doctor or was a personal choice?
scaredmother

Postby mellyott » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:22 am

At the request of our doctor Lexi slept in her carseat. This is due to the swelling. I am not quite sure why she had to stay sleeping sitting up the entire 2 1/2 weeks, but we decided it was better to be safe. Our doctor is very old school, but we like it. Both her palate and lip surgeries have gone well, and the healing has been MUCH better than expected. It is very scary, but my advice is to plan for the worst. We expected to be at the hospital a couple of days, for her to be absolutely miserable, and to not get any sleep. I really think that helped us get through it. We were so excited when she came home, when she was eating fairly well, and when she was laughing and smiling.
mellyott

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate