RECESSED JAW

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

RECESSED JAW

Postby michellebeau » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:36 pm

I meant to say that my daughter has a recessed jaw. Is it common with cleft palate babies? The oral surgeon said it's too soon to tell but it sure looks like it to us. She also drools like crazy, which I know is due to teething but i literally have to change her out of approx. 10 bibs per day. She's like a faucet. :) Not to compare her but I thought it was odd that my other children didn't. Anyone experience the same?
Michelle Beau
michellebeau

small lower jaw

Postby Linda S S » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:35 pm

A small lower jaw (micrognathia) is one symptom of Pierre Robin Sequence. Have the doctor's ruled that out? PRS often includes a cleft palate.
http://www.cleftline.org/publications/pierre_robin
Linda S S
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby gregory » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:14 am

I agree. It does sound like Pierre Robin Syndrome/Sequence.

My son was born with the same symptoms. Our geneticist finalized that he was born with Pierre Robin. According to statistics, the condition is very rare 1/1M, but treatable. There are different levels of micrognathia and in some severe cases a jaw extension is necessary. In my son's case we chose not to extend his lower jaw but to provide time and assist him to developmentally overcome. Our story is available at: http://www.cleft.org/families/theodoros.htm

You can find more about micrognathia and the possibility of Pierre Robin through the Online Mendelian Inheritance in Men (OMIM), available by the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) and Johns Hopkins University.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/disp ... ?id=261800

Let me or my wife know if you have any questions about our experiences.

Gregory
(11yoB, PRS)
gregory
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby mia's mom » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:29 pm

my daughter has pierre robin. When she was born it was very noticeable but the PS said that as she got older, her tongue would be pushing her bottom jaw out and that has in fact happened. It is still recessed but not as noticeable. She also drools like crazy. We go through at least 15 bibs a day. The PS also said that when she has her palate repair, that will push the jaw forward as well. Hope this helps, sandy.
mia's mom
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby jacksmom » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:13 pm

My husband (who is in his 30's) had a cleft palate and recessed jaw. He was never diagnosed with PRS, but may have had it. (not sure if they had an exact diagnosis back then) He never received much orthodontic care as a child, and 2 years ago he ended up having to have his upper jaw moved forward because of severe TMJ and headaches. The surgery was horrible and we are trying to make sure that Jackson has early orthotic attention to avoid problems later. We have a orthodontist on our cleft team, so maybe you could check with them. It is definitely a common problem with cleft babies. One of the many.......... :roll:
Have a good week!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Orthodontics

Postby LanesMemee » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi Allison! Just wondered what orthodontist/dentist you use and if he/she is in Alabama?
Daphne Sellers,
Grandmother to Lane, 6/29/06, BCLP
Wicksburg, Alabama
LanesMemee

Postby michellebeau » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:32 pm

WOW! I HAD NO IDEA! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION. MICHELLE
Michelle Beau
michellebeau

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate