palate repair

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

palate repair

Postby ssmehyl » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:50 pm

I've heard a few different versions of the post-palate repair. Some mom's have been able to use the haberman or a sippy cup with a spout. We've also been told that the baby can't have ANYTHING in his mouth afterwards. What's everybody's experience dealing with this. I know i've posted a few different things recently, but my husband and I are trying not to freak out about the upcoming surgery. we just got finished with lip the week before christmas. i'm super nervous about the deatils for after the palate. Thank you to all who are part of this forum. I had a few moms contact me before my son's lip repair and it was a tremendous help. absolute angels. THANKS!

Stacy
ssmehyl

Postby jacksmom » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:00 pm

Stacy, glad to hear that Bauer's lip surgery went well! The sleep thing is pretty normal for post op, I think. It sounds very similar to what Jackson did anyway. It got better after the second week, if thats any help. We put Jackson in the bed with us for the first week or so, and don't worry, when he got to feeling better, he went right back to his bed! :wink:
The bottle/sippy cup thing depends mainly on your PS. I have learned on this forum that they all have different opinions! Our PS allowed Jackson to go right back to his Haberman immediately after surgery. The only thing he couldn't have was a pacifier, but I'm sure you've already had to do without that for lip surgery. He really didn't want ANYTHING near his mouth, so we pretty much fed him with either a spoon or a regular cup for the first couple of days. It was really slow going for a few days! Take one day at a time, and don't worry too far ahead of time! I'm sure Bauer will do just fine! Happy New Year!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

hey

Postby ssmehyl » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:35 pm

Hey Allison. Thank you so much for the help and encouragement. I'm happy to say his sleep has got much better. Praise the Lord!!! Yeah. I figured everyone has a different story about post-feeding. We thought it might end up being the syringe, cup, or spoon feeding for a few days. Thank you!!
Stacy
ssmehyl

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate