Red Scar

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Red Scar

Postby jstupak » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:03 pm

I am sure this question is asked a lot. My daughter had her lip surgery on Aug. 28th. Her scar is still very red. Our PS gave us silicon to try, but she pulls it right off - even in her sleep. I also try to massage it, but she only lets me do it for a short time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jenna
jstupak

scar

Postby Linda S S » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:21 am

Vitamin E oil (available at health food stores) applied to the skin can reduce scarring.
Linda S S
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Scar Redness

Postby LanesMemee » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:58 pm

We used Creme de la Mar for Lane's scar. I don't know that it was the "miracle" we were told it would be, or that is worked any better than anything else would (we have nothing to compare it to) but his scar is very faint. His surgery was in Jan 07. After the first two-three months, we used some Ped-Mederma off and on but we still use the Creme' several times a week. Some people think that the actual massage is the most beneficial, regardless of the product you use. I have also heard of a product from Arbonne that takes the redness out. Not sure of the name of it, but you could type Arbonne in the browser and see if they list one.
Daphne Sellers,
Grandmother to Lane, 6/29/06, BCLP
Wicksburg, Alabama
LanesMemee

Postby heather » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:02 pm

We were given silicone patches to use as well. But our PS gave us surgical strips to keep it on. It was easiest to keep on while he was taking a nap or sleeping for the night. Massaging also helps. But really it just takes time for the scar to relax. Eyson had quite a bit of pull in his lip but it did relax and he looks really good now. You can't even tell that he had a cleft lip. You may want to address the possibility of steroid injections in the lip. Our PS said that it could be a possibility if the silicone patches didn't work after a little while.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate