After surgery update

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

After surgery update

Postby heather » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:26 pm

It's been almost a week since Eyson's palate surgery and I am so tired. Of course i'm preaching to the choir, right? He is doing very well. Right after surgery there were a couple complications, which scared the crap out of me and Ryan, but they were taken care of. His oxygen levels were dropping drastically so they put him on oxygen and they couldn't bring his heart rate down. He was averaging over 200 bpm. Let me tell you I didn't get a bit of sleep that night. I was too worried about him. They had him stay an extra day in the hospital and we didn't actually get to leave until 3:00 p.m. on Thursday. I was so sick of being in the hospital. He's quite crabby right now, but he's running around with his brother and sister and playing. His PS decided to do a revision on his lip at the same time. He just wasn't happy with the right side of his lip. I thought that it looks spectacular. Of course now you can't even tell at all that he has a scar. Oh my gosh...if anyone has the opportunity to use Dr. Albert Woo out of St. Louis Children's Hospital, go for it. That man is absolutely wonderful. He does fantastic work. Anyway, the one concern I have with Eyson right now is that he's dropping weight. He wasn't very big to start with and just picking him up you can tell that he's lighter. I'm feeding him but he just doesn't drink much. His diapers are wet but I'm still concerned about his weight. I've included an after picture of Eyson. This was taken on Thursday right before we got to leave the hospital. Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. Heather, Ryan, and the Kids

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r117 ... urgery.jpg
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:13 pm

I've been waiting on an update! Jackson did the same thing after surgery. I think his oxygen dropping had a lot to do with the swelling he had. He looked like a monster! I think it's pretty normal for them to drop a little weight. I was worried too, and them at our post-op visit, the PS was surprised that he had not lost more weight than he did. It took Jackson around 10 days to get back to his normal eating. He would take an ounce or two, and then get fussy. It is exhausting!
Eyson looks wonderful! When he gets older, I don't even think you'll be able to tell that he had a cleft! Your PS is amazing!
Glad to hear that things are going well. Doesn't it feel good to have it all behind you? Keep us posted!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby sunshine_81 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:45 am

Good to know that your nightmare is over...

Don't worry, my girl took a week or so to finally start drinking and acting normally and she dropped a kg during the recovery period.

Eyson looks great.. so dont have to worry too much. Before you know it, he will be asking for all sorts of food to eat!! :D

Irene
sunshine_81

congratulations

Postby Heide » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:08 am

I am happy to hear that things are going well (well, as well as one can expect after such a serious surgery). Sounds like Eyson is doing great. If it is any consolation, our little one hardly ate at all those first two weeks post op, it wasn't until the third week that we really saw some improvement- hope yours comes sooner as I know how worrisome it can be when they are little to start with. Since our little was was over a year at the time of her palate surgery and because she is so small, our nutritionist recommended pedisure instead of milk, it is still what she drinks daily as she is having difficulty transitioning to table foods (she will be 2 in January). It packs a punch in terms of calories and nutrition, so it may be an option to consider. Again, congratulations and don't forget to take a little time (or nap) for yourself. Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jstupak » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:11 pm

He looks great! My daughter is scheduled for palette surgery in February - so to hear things are going well - makes me feel a bit better. Was his scar ever red? My daughter had her lip surgery in August and her scar is really red. I am trying the silicon my PS gave me - but I have a hard time keeping it on her as she rips it off.

Thanks,
Jenna
jstupak

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate