cleft palate- can I use a nasal spray?

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

cleft palate- can I use a nasal spray?

Postby mia's mom » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi there- its been a while since I posted here. Everything has been going good with Mia. This week has been tough- nothing big but she has a cold and we are doing everything we can to prevent the fluid in her right ear from infecting her ear. Right now it is not infected. I've been sitting in the recliner all night holding her so that she doesn't get congested lying flat. Towels under the mattress doesn't work for us, or that wedge thing, or the carseat. Anyway, we bought this nasal spray for the congestion and this garlic thing to dry up her ear. Can I give her the nasal spray? It is Euphorbium- a natural remedy but I just thought that it's going to go straight into her mouth since she has the cleft palate. Anyone use a nasal spray? Thanks, Sandy
mia's mom
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby samjune79 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:15 pm

I asked my ENT this question (Kyle still has a small hole in his palate) and he said that the hole was more of an in not an out. So nothing should go from the nose to the mouth but it could go from the mouth to the nose. Hope this helps. I am still afraid to use it.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

NASAL SPRAY

Postby mellyott » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:47 pm

I know this is a little late. Our doctor (and the pharmacist did too) said to use a regular saline solution. It is ok to use the adult version, we bought the Walmart brand, instead of the Little Noses. The pharmacist said it is the same either way, and a lot cheaper. It did go into Lexi's mouth, but it doesn't hurt anything. She just kind of coughed a little, but it really helped clear her up. Hope this helps someone!
mellyott

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate