UNDERBITE

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

UNDERBITE

Postby michellebeau » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:00 pm

Is it very common for cleft palate babies to have an underbite as well? My daughter appears to have one. The doctor says it's too early to tell. (She's 6 months old) But I was curious if it goes hand in hand with the cleft palate. Thanks. Michelle
Michelle Beau
michellebeau

Postby jacksmom » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:16 pm

I think it does have to with the cleft. The cleft being there affects the growth of the whole upper jaw. I think most cleft children have that problem. My husband (who also had a cleft palate) had to have his upper jaw moved forward about a year ago. He was having severe pain and headaches from TMJ. The oral surgeon said that it was related to the cleft palate. He said he sees it a lot. We are hoping Jackson doesn't have to go through the same thing. It was HORRIBLE! He couldn't eat solid food for six weeks! So for 6 weeks, I had a very fussy newborn and a pitiful husband too! It was crazy!
Hopefully now they will be able to correct the problem with mainly orthodontics.( My husband had no orthodontic work) Jackson will see the orthodontist at our next cleft visit in February. I can't imagine what they can do at such a young age.....but it can't hurt to get an early start!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Thanks!

Postby michellebeau » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:40 pm

Thanks for the helpful information Jack's mom! :)
Michelle Beau
michellebeau

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate