BABY HATES CAR RIDES

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

BABY HATES CAR RIDES

Postby michellebeau » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:57 pm

My 6 month old daughter (has a cleft palate-soft) absolutely HATES riding in the car. Is this common with cleft palate babies? Is it gas? Is it her ears? Every single car ride is horrible! She has always been like this too. Anyone experience the same? :cry:
Michelle Beau
michellebeau

Postby samjune79 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:13 pm

My son didn't stop crying in car rides until he was 7 months old. I don't know if it had anything to do with his cleft palate repaired at 6 months, but I was glad he stopped. Hang in there.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:01 pm

Strange...but same here! Jackson screamed every single time we were in the car up until about 9 months! He would make me a nervous wreck on the way to daycare in the mornings! I always thought that the car was supposed to be a way to make babies STOP crying, but not in our case! I did eventually get one of those mirrors made by fisher price that lights up and has music. It also had a remote so that you could activate it from the front seat. It helped a LOT! Or...as bad as I hate to suggest this....Jackson likes to watch the DVD player in the car. The NEMO movie has always been a sure fire way to calm him down, inside or in the car!!That is kind of weird...I thought I was all alone in that! It doesn't seem like it could have anything to do with the cleft, but maybe so! Hang in there...it will get better!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby ashley3212 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:07 pm

My baby seems to love the car. It puts her to sleep every time. She's only 8 weeks old, though, so it could still just be the new baby sleepies, I guess.
Mom to Elisea, incomplete bilateral cl & p
ashley3212

Postby heather » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:09 pm

Let me tell you that Eyson absolutely hated car rides. I dreaded going anywhere just because I knew that he would scream the entire time.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Bailliejo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:49 pm

Jacob always screams in the car it was really bad before he got his tubes in. I never thought that cleft lip and palate might have something to do with the crying in the car. He is getting better and he is 4 months old.
Bailliejo

RE: BABY HATES CAR RIDES

Postby dilipv » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:32 am

hi there,
First of all, it is normal in kids sometimes they like car rides OR may not. There is no need to worry about it. Make trust in me because i am nursery worker from several I'll found it so many times in children's. You can overcome this problem, you have to make your kid busy with toys and other stuff while car riding. After some time kid's get habit of it. So no need to worry it is part of childhood.
Cheers & Regards
Dilip
dilipv

I think it's her ears...

Postby michellebeau » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:29 pm

I think it's her ears after reading all of the responses. I wouldn't be too concerned if it were once in a while but it occurs EVERY SINGLE CAR RIDE. It's very hard to accept that it's just how some babies are. And at 7 months now there is nothing to really distract her from her extremely loud cry. She gets very worked up. I have to pull over to a safe location to try to calm her. I think it's her ears. Thankfully we are getting our baby girl into an ENT doc on the 9th.
Michelle Beau
michellebeau

Crying during car rides

Postby michellebeau » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:01 am

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!
Two weeks post op and Kylie NO LONGER cries during car rides! yay! It had to be the tubes the ENT put in her ears!
Michelle Beau
michellebeau

Postby rainhawk » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:13 am

Devon is fine in the car, even before he got tubes. I however get car sick, so I keep the front air vents going well, and maybe this helps him as well?
rainhawk

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate