Quick Questions

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Quick Questions

Postby tkebino » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:55 am

I have not been on in a long time. EJ soft palate repair was March 1st 2006 and he has healed nicely.

My first question is "Has anyone had problem with ear infections after the surgery?" EJ did not have them before so tubes were not placed in the ears. After the surgery he has had them like crazy. We have seen the ENT.

My second question is "Has anyone had to have adenoids removed?" I ask this because that is the problem and the ENT said that they only remove 1/2 the adenoids because if the remove the whole thing then it effect cleft babies speech. I am asking to see if the speech has been effected anyway from removing 1/2.

TIA.
Tracy
DD Jessica 1/18/00
DS EJ(Eddie) 5/18/05 Cleft of Soft Palate
tkebino
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:50 pm

Jackson had a cleft of the hard and soft palate, so I don't know if that makes a difference. We were told in the beginning to get tubes, even though Jackson had not had any ear infections. He seemed to have more infections after the tubes, but it could have just been that they were easier to catch with the drainage. He probably had more before that just went undiagnosed. Before the tubes he had a lot of trouble with fluid build up and hearing problems.
As far as the adenoids go....(and again, I know all doctors are different!) Our PS told us FIRMLY that Jackson should never have any part of his tonsils or adenoids removed. He said that it would affect the his airway flow, and in turn cause even more speech problems. My mother in law was also told the same thing 30 years ago with my husbands cleft. So, I would make sure you talk to the PS before making any decisions! Good luck and hopefully your little one will feel better soon! Ear infections are NO fun! Happy Holidays!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby samjune79 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:16 pm

Kyle had his palate repair done when he was 6 months old. Never had an ear infection then at 9 months old he still wasn't passing hearing test and they recommended ear tubs. The ENT said that his ears were full of fluid. Kyle has not had an ear infection so far since the tubes. The ENT did say Kyle was too young for adenoids to be removed so maybe that will be something later.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate