palate?

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

palate?

Postby Bailliejo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:59 pm

I have seen on here that some of you have had babies get their palates fixed around 9 months. Our team has told us that they will see my son when he is a year old and not before. I'm just worried that they will miss the window for him to get it fixed. Our ps said that he likes to do the palate around 15 months and I think that that seems a little late to do. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Bailliejo

Postby samjune79 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:48 pm

I think it depends on the baby and how big the cleft is. My team does them between 9-12 months. But they did Kyle's at 6 months and his was very big and biCP. I don't think he would be eating any solids if they waited. He still has a small hole and we will find out in Feb when he will have that repaired but I am going to try and push it until his is 3 when so that way they can combine it with a revision.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby heather » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:26 pm

Eyson is having his palate fixed tomorrow. He is just over a year old. His PS wanted to let his mouth grow more before he repaired it. He said that the more you let the mouth grow, the less likely you will need an additional repair later on. I was completely fine with that. It just depends on the PS. I don't think there's anything wrong with waiting just a little bit. But of course I'm not a doctor.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate