nose surgery

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

nose surgery

Postby Bailliejo » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:14 pm

My son is 3 months old and he just had his lip repaired. His nose didn't turn out the best I thought. I was wondering if any parents out there had this happen and if you did, did the plastic surgeon fix it or did they want to wait till they were in there teens to mess with the nose?

Here is a link to my myspace page and I have pics of Jacob before and after surgery.

myspace.com/bailliejo
Bailliejo

Postby heather » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:16 pm

My son Eyson's nose repair turned out fabulous. The only thing that the surgeon wasn't overly happy with was that fact that he had just a little too much lip on one side than the other. It's actually not noticeable at all. But a touch up surgery will be done before he enters Kindergarten. So you shouldn't have to wait until the teen years to have something done. Most want to have everything done before they enter school. I wasn't able to see your pictures, but I'm sure they are wonderful. Mothers tend to be overly so-so about their own children. I'm sure the repair was great. And remember that all scars have to have time to relax as well. Once everything relaxes the nose will look a little different. Good luck. Heather
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby samjune79 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:50 pm

take a look at my son's pics on myspace and the last 3 pics are of me when I was born with UCLP. I looked like your son after 1st surgery but had another one at 4 and that helped a lot until I was a teen and got the nose I have now. I waited until I was 16, but I'm giving my son the choice to have as many as he wants whenever he wants.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Jeff Alterman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:51 am

The nose can be worked on before your child reaches his teens. I did look at your son's pictures on MySpace. His nose definitely could used to be straightened.

Jeff Alterman at alterman156@verizon.net
Jeff Alterman
Support Member
Support Member

Postby mookie59 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:43 pm

Bailliejo,
First may I say that you and your DH are a very nice looking couple. And you both look so much in love.

Now your son is a doll baby. He's so cute and I bet he's spoiled rotten.

I asked to add you to myspace friends so if you hear from someone named Mookie...that's me. :-)

Your son's nose seemed flatter than Taylor's or Heather's son Eyson. And I think it could use some straightening too.

I know that our surgeon said that they bring their cleft patients in right before they start school and do a surgery devoted to correcting their faces as much as possible to lessen the chance of being picked on. So I expect your team does the same thing. You might ask his surgeon at his next appointment.

Taylor's nose droops and she's just finished her 3rd surgery. Here's a link to a slideshow on my photobucket so you can see her progression from birth to one year old.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v296/free2ride/Taylor/?action=view&current=fae363f8.pbr

~ J ~
Jennifer
Nanny to Taylor (uclbcp)
11/1/06
lip repair - 4 months
soft palate repair - 6 months
hard palate repair - 10 months
fistula repair - scheduled March 14th
mookie59

Postby mookie59 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:46 pm

Samantha,

I looked at your pics on your myspace and I wanted to tell you that your son, Eyson is so adorable.

And your pictures were amazing. I'm so glad you posted them for us to see.

I also have a myspace and I added you as my friend. I hope that's ok. If you see something come through that says, "Mookie" on it - that's me. :)

~ J ~
Jennifer
Nanny to Taylor (uclbcp)
11/1/06
lip repair - 4 months
soft palate repair - 6 months
hard palate repair - 10 months
fistula repair - scheduled March 14th
mookie59

Postby christyb » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:13 pm

MY DAUGHTERS NOSE LOOKS A LITTLE UNEVEN BUT HER LIP LOOKS GREAT AND HER PS WOULD LIKE TO SEE HER WHEN SHE TURNS 4 TO SEE IF SHE WILL NEED A REVISION.
JUST INCASE ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO SEE HER PICTUES I HAVE A MYSPACE ALSO
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/LEEBERG
christyb

Postby wcs40110 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:37 pm

my daughters lip didn't look very good when it was first done but it looked better over time. People keep telling me to wait a little while longer because they way features change with age.
wcs40110

Postby christyb » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:19 pm

yes i have heard that too. my daughter also has the split gum and all her teeth are coming in except her eye tooth on her cleft side.
christyb

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate