First Tooth

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

First Tooth

Postby samjune79 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:21 pm

Kyle got his first tooth. He is 8 1/2 months old. I didn't think he was going to get any before he was 1 years old. LOL. His front top tooth came in first. It is between his BCP.

samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

aww

Postby Jacobsmommy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:57 pm

My son grew 6 bottom teeth before he got any top teeth. he now has 4 but not the front 2. Did they tell you what to expect about the top teeth? I was told by my surgeon he didn't care about baby teeth. I was sure they would grow wherever they wanted. Your sons looks lined up great!
Britany & Jacob bcl&p
Jacobsmommy

Postby mookie59 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:33 pm

First off - congrats to Kyle!

Taylor has 4 teeth. Two top & two bottom.

What I wonder is how on earth did you get Kyle to let you take a picture of it? Taylor screams when I even touch her top lip.
Jennifer
Nanny to Taylor (uclbcp)
11/1/06
lip repair - 4 months
soft palate repair - 6 months
hard palate repair - 10 months
fistula repair - scheduled March 14th
mookie59

Postby samjune79 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:59 pm

mookie59 wrote:First off - congrats to Kyle!

Taylor has 4 teeth. Two top & two bottom.

What I wonder is how on earth did you get Kyle to let you take a picture of it? Taylor screams when I even touch her top lip.

I do it the same way my PS does it. Kyle on my lap with head at my knees so his head is tilted downward and then with 2 hands put your thumbs on his cheek bones and fingers near his ears for added support and push up on his lip. (I'm doing it with one hand to take the pic with the other). I only get a few seconds at a time....trust me that was my 3rd attempt with the camera.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Jeff Alterman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:31 am

Sometimes a tooth will come in within the palate area in some patients that were born with a cleft lip & palate.

Jeff Alterman at alterman156@verizon.net
Jeff Alterman
Support Member
Support Member

Postby heather » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:13 pm

Eyson has 8 teeth now at 11 months. He'd have lots more than that if it weren't for the palate. What's really funny is that he's so snaggle-toothed you can't help but smile and laugh when he gives you a big grin. He has his two front teeth, even though one is actually in he cleft, and two others beside those, and four bottom teeth. We're preparing for his palate surgery here shortly. I'm pretty sure that he'll have some teeth removed so that his palate can be repaired.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby mookie59 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:56 pm

Samantha,
Thanks for the directions on how you got the pic.

The one problem I would have I didn't see in your post - that would be the hands and feet! :lol:

Taylor bats her arms and kicks her feet when I try to look. Guess she's a bit more private with her teeth and cleft! 8)
Jennifer
Nanny to Taylor (uclbcp)
11/1/06
lip repair - 4 months
soft palate repair - 6 months
hard palate repair - 10 months
fistula repair - scheduled March 14th
mookie59

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate