Severe Gas

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Severe Gas

Postby Samm » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:15 pm

Avery has severe gas, any tips, whats better than others to use for gas?

We changed his formula from a no lactose to the gentlease (Enfamil). it works a bit, the pediatrician gave us Levsin, 3 drops every 6 hours, it hardly works, but if we give him mylacom in between those 6 hours, the gas subsides.

His GI dr, his pediatrician dont seem to think any big deal. but this child screams in agony for hours on end.

He had an upper GI on friday, and is still pooping the barium out *shakeshead*

Any tricks of the trade for bad gas?
Avery BCLP
8/10/2007
Samm

Postby jacksmom » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:17 pm

Samm, I really feel bad for you! Sounds like you guys are having a tough time! Sometimes, don't ya wish you could send your little one home with the doctor for about 24 hours, so that they could see what's it's like? No big deal....HAH! :roll: They put Jackson on the Levsin too around 6 weeks. After the first couple of doses, he was EXTREMELY fussy and I could not figure out what was wrong. Turns out that irritability is one of the side effects! So, we stopped that, and just kept giving him Mylicon with every bottle. Also putting him on the Zantac helped. I know that is primarily for reflux, but I think it calmed down the gas too. It's hard to tell exactly what's bothering them at such a young age! I wish you guys the best of luck! Please keep us posted! I'll keep little Avery in my prayers!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby Samm » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:08 pm

Hey allison

Avery is on previsid too every morning. reflux SUX. shakinghead. when it seems to be getting better we go for the GI and come home with mr cranky pants lol. hes finally down, but we feed him by tube every 3 hours, so the doc says we will have things a little easier with the feed button in the belly. so we will see lol

gonna try mylanta next, i just thought i would throw it out there.
Avery BCLP
8/10/2007
Samm

Postby Samm » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:15 pm

GRUMBLE lol

it didnt work, lol
Avery BCLP
8/10/2007
Samm

Postby samjune79 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:31 am

Well, he might have true colic where there isn't anything you can find or do to make him stop crying. As my brother told me with my son he has fussy baby syndrome. LOL. No, that is just not good to hear but if you go to askdrsears.com and search for colic there are some comforting things in his readings. Let me ask you, when he passes gas does he cry. I noticed that every time my son did that he cried so hard. Bad thing is that most reflux meds cause some or most of the farting/gas.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby chicka-monkey » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:00 am

Two out of the three of my children had colic. The only formula that was gentle enough for both of them was Nestle Carnation Good Start. TRY IT! You will notice a world of a difference in a couple of days. Let me know how it worked!
Carrie (user name chicka-monkey)

DD - 6/9/96
DS - 7/6/04
DD - 11/3/05 ~ bilateral cleft lip & palate ~
chicka-monkey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Samm » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:29 am

chicka-monkey wrote:Two out of the three of my children had colic. The only formula that was gentle enough for both of them was Nestle Carnation Good Start. TRY IT! You will notice a world of a difference in a couple of days. Let me know how it worked!

The pediatrician put him on Similac soy, so we will try that awhile.

i also went out and got woodwards GRIPE WATER, i heard alot about it and we gave Avery some this morning and his gas has subsided a bit and fell asleep, but we'll totally see if it works this afternoon when the colic starts around 2 lol

thank you all for sharing info
Avery BCLP
8/10/2007
Samm

Postby heather » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 pm

My first child was colicy and he was put on Similac Alimentum for his cramping and gas. It helped so much. My second child was born with reflux and she was put on Alimentum as well. Once again it worked wonderfully. It's so much easier on their stomachs. It's expensive, but I was willing to do anything to relieve my baby's pain, not to mention my own nerves listening to him scream every minute of the day. Heather
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate