Hole purposely left in palate when repaired. QUESTION

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Hole purposely left in palate when repaired. QUESTION

Postby chicka-monkey » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:45 am

My dr. purposely left a small hole in the palate. My dd's speech therapists wants to know what the purpose of this is. She thinks it's harder for
skylar to talk clearly because of this and wants to know the answer and what other people had to say about their child's hole.

I thought the dr. told me it was for the surgeon to give her gum surgery easier when the time comes.
Carrie (user name chicka-monkey)

DD - 6/9/96
DS - 7/6/04
DD - 11/3/05 ~ bilateral cleft lip & palate ~
chicka-monkey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby samjune79 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:22 pm

I guess all doctors are different because my doctor did not leave a hole but after my son's palate surgery last month, a hole started to form. My son's doctor was not happy but knew that might happen since he was a wide bi-CP (also BCL repaired). For us he will have the hole repaired when my son is over 1 years old and it depends on how well his speech is if he he will wait until he is over 2 years old. This is what we were told.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Jacobsmommy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:23 pm

Hey I know it seems stupid and you know your child went through all that, why not do it right. But maybe your dr. is smart because my son started growing teeth and his palate started separating and there is nothing you can do for them. The repair is inevitable and speech therapy, Just know it wont hurt them as bad and that they can still talk to the best of their ability my son is 19 months old, and they wont give him speech therapy they said he knows too many words. I've learned if you speak to the child like an adult they will do the same and learn more words and sound intelligent. Never let them feel like something is different, and when you don't understand what they say give them the word you think they said.
Britany & Jacob bcl&p
Jacobsmommy

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate