Our baby is finally here!

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Our baby is finally here!

Postby bjand3 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:41 am

I have not been on here in awhile, and just wanted to let all know our little Emma was born August 23, @ 9:52 am. She does also have her palate involved, so it is both BLCL and CP.

I have spoken with ssome who say you are taken back when you first see your baby, and some who it never phases....I will say it was as if there was nothing wrong with her at all. She was beautiful and my wife and I were overjoyed to hear that first cry after she came out.

The pigeon feeder is an absolute godsend thus far. She takes to it very well and drinks pretty good from it.

I do have a question, and a concern as well...when the nurses took her back on day 2 to do a hearing test she failed. They took her back late in day 2, did both tests several times and she failed every time. Has anybody else experienced this? Is this normal? I know you hear alot about tubes in the ears, and ears problem...but at this stage of the game? Please advise. Thanks, Brandon
bjand3

Congratulations!

Postby Linda S S » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:35 pm

Congratulations on the arrival of your daughter! I have a 1 month old niece with UCL w/gum involvement. Somewhere on this list I read of a child who failed hearing tests until having had the tubes and then passed them, if I remember correctly.
Linda S S
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby mookie59 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:33 pm

Congratulations on the birth of little Emma! What a blessing you have been given.

We did not know ahead of time about our GD's cleft which is UCLBCP but the moment her little head emerged and I saw her face I said, "she's the most beautiful baby in the world". I was surprised but not shocked. Nor did it enter my mind at any moment to be appalled at her face.

Our Taylor now lives with us as hubby and I have custody since the parents were too immature to deal with her cleft. She was a blessing the moment she was born and still is at 9 months. :)

Taylor passed the hearing test at birth but at her 2 week check up she failed it. The cleft ENT saw her at 6 months and refused to test her again because they saw fluid build up behind her ear drum and said she would fail it again.

At 6 months they did her soft palate repair and put tubes in Taylor's ear even though she'd never had an ear infection or even so much as an ear ache. What an amazing difference we saw in her hearing. As soon as she started coming out of the anesthesia she was reacting to sounds she did not notice before. And now her hearing is perfect.

I wish you and your wife the best of luck with your new bundle of joy!

Jennifer
Nanny to Taylor (UCLBCP)
9 months old
Jennifer
Nanny to Taylor (uclbcp)
11/1/06
lip repair - 4 months
soft palate repair - 6 months
hard palate repair - 10 months
fistula repair - scheduled March 14th
mookie59

Postby samjune79 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:14 am

Kyle didn't pass his newborn test until 6 months old. Now he is not passing his infant tests and they will try again before putting tubes in. Some areas and cleft teams are pro-active with the tubes and few are a wait and see. I think if you push hard one way or the other you can get what you want. GL and congratulations to you and your family. Post some pics of your new family for us.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:12 am

Congratulations on the new baby! I'm sure she is just beautiful! We can't wait to see pictures! Hang in there over the next few months....there will be lots of anxiety about all of the things ahead, but in the end it will all work out!
Jackson also failed all of his hearing tests before he had tubes put in his ears. We went ahead and placed his at 12 weeks. We were given the option to wait, but I was worried about him going too long with the fluid on his ears and how it would affect his long term hearing. Plus, it is such a MINOR thing, I just wanted to get it over with. They will probably suggest putting tubes when they do her lip repair. As soon as Jackson got the tubes, I could tell immediately that he could hear. He started turning towards sounds and he would cry for a minute and then just kind of look around like he didn't realize that he was that loud! It was so funny! Now his hearing has been 100% at every test.
Good luck! Be sure to keep us posted on how things are going!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby bjand3 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:10 pm

I was curious how to attach a picture. I would like to share Emma with you all on here....so if anybody knows let me know and I will post her picture.[/img]
bjand3

Postby jacksmom » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:20 pm

I'm not sure how to post on here. We started a babysite @ www.babysites.com It's free and it has been a great way to keep our family and friends posted on Jackson.
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby samjune79 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:25 pm

I upload from photobucket.com then get the IMG code and paste it into the message. Here is a picture of my son he is 7 months old this was last weekend at my mom's pool. Image
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby bjand3 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:17 pm

I will try the photobucket route...btw, you little man is a handsome guy. Did he have BLCL or ULCL?
bjand3

Postby samjune79 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:27 am

bjand3 wrote:I will try the photobucket route...btw, you little man is a handsome guy. Did he have BLCL or ULCL?

Yep a BLCL incomplete and BLCP, and only one side of his gum line was cleft. here is a post op pic

samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby heather » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:36 am

Congratulations on your new arrival. Don't worry about the hearing. Eyson failed every hearing test they gave him. Now that he's almost ten months old he's having hearing tests and passing them without having tubes put in. So you don't worry a thing about those hearing tests. Eyson uses the pigeon nipples as well. Wonderful inventions aren't they? As far as the pictures? I use photobucket also. It's the easiest way i think. Once you upload your pictures onto photobucket you can just copy and paste the IMG onto your post. Enjoy her. She'll grow up so fast.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby bjand3 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:24 pm

This is Emma...These were taken about an hour or so after birth.

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd95 ... 0_0606.jpg[img]

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd95 ... 0_0599.jpg[/img]
bjand3

Postby bjand3 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:26 pm

This is Emma...These were taken about an hour or so after birth.

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd95 ... 0_0606.jpg[img]

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd95 ... 0_0599.jpg[/img]
bjand3

Sedalia

Postby Linda S S » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi Jenny,
I just noticed that you're from Sedalia. I grew up in Marshall (30 miles north). On the photo bucket link it says your files are no longer available.
Linda S S
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby bjand3 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:40 am

Small world with you being from Marshall and all. Ok do not know what happend with the photobucket. I don't think computers always like me, so I will try this....

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=11613058

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=11613173

The first one is about an hour after she was born, and the second was a couple days later with my other 2 boys.
bjand3

Next

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate