Cleft palate surgery scheduled for Karley

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Cleft palate surgery scheduled for Karley

Postby karleysmom » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:25 pm

Hi, I haven't posted in a long time, sorry. Karley has her cleft palate surgery scheduled for September 6th. I am super nervous, scared, anxious and just ready to get the whole thing over with. I'm really nervous about what to expect after it's all done with her recovery process. Right now she is doing great. The last time we had her weighed, she was at 17.7 lbs. She is eating some stage three foods and babbling like crazy. Here is one of her more recent pictures.

-Karen 7/10/73 soft and hard cleft palate

Mom of....
Caleb 10/26/95 (NCA)
Will 4/23/97 (NCA) stepson
Karley 11/30/06 soft and hard cleft palate
karleysmom

I am nervous too

Postby Rfilippone » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:40 pm

I can't tell you how your e-mail could have been me writing it- I have a son who is having his cleft palate (soft) on September 20th. I can't sleep- I just want this to be Christmas and a distant memory.. I am worried about the anesthesia, the restraints, and the healing process post surgery. My son is 11 months right now and he already eats nothing- he is so tiny and I am worried bc I was told that he is not allowed a bottle- this is currently the only way he gets any nutrition into him at all! God Bless you and your beautiful daughter- stay strong!

Robin
Joey's mom 9-18-06
Rfilippone

Postby samjune79 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:21 am

I would have to say that the Palate surgery was the hardest on us. Kyle was 6 months and 1 week old. He hated the restraints and also wasn't allowed the bottle for 15 days. He had to use the syringe. If it wasn't for our Cleft Palate team and the members on this board I don't know what I would have done. Everyone on here has been so nice and helpful and my Team was there for me when I had my melt down. I know every baby is different but one thing is all the same; as parents we all worry the same. Keep in touch with the parents that have done this before and keep close contact with the doctor's and teams near you so you have somewhere to drive to if you need some help learning to feed. We are each others best shoulders to cry on. Check out myspace page (link below) I have pictures of his palate surgery, what it looked like before and after. Also there are his lip surgery pictures. Feel free to look around.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate