Question about baby development after surgery

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Question about baby development after surgery

Postby samjune79 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:54 pm

Kyle had his 2nd surgery to repair his cleft lip/palate on July 30th. Because of the no-no's he couldn't roll over which he has been doing since he was 3 months old (from tummy to back only) he is now 7 months old and 25 days post-op. He only had the no-no's on for 10 days. He will not roll over and I feel like this last surgery took that away from him. Is this normal? Has anyone else have something that their kid could do and then after surgery they wouldn't do it anymore. He won't even try.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby mookie59 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:21 pm

We have custody of our now 9 month old GD. She had her lip repaired when she was 4 months old. She didn't wear no-nos at all. We just watched her super close.

Before the surgery she was rolling over from her tummy to back. After the surgery she stopped rolling over for about a month & 1/2. But when she started back she picked back up on it quickly and very soon thereafter she started rolling from back to tummy.

It was like she knew she was missing something and wanted to play "catch up". :)

Then she had soft palate surgery at 6 months and was trying to crawl. She was up on all 4's then after the surgery she went back to pulling herself along with her arms. She didn't wear no-nos after that surgery either.

I'm not sure if it's the no-nos or if it's just the extra strength and energy that the body consumes to complete the healing. Not sure if that makes sense. Kind of like when we have surgery and we feel weak and it takes awhile for our bodies to regain the strength we had before the surgery. Perhaps their bodies go through that too.

Taylor is having hard palate surgery in October. She will be 11 months. Right now she is pulling up, cruising and trying to walk...I can't help but wonder if this surgery will set her back too.

I say give Kyle a bit more time and he will amaze you when he "jumps" back into the discovery game. They say it takes 6-8 weeks to recover from surgery...maybe his 25 days hasn't been enough yet.

Hope that encourages you some. :)
Jennifer
Nanny to Taylor (uclbcp)
11/1/06
lip repair - 4 months
soft palate repair - 6 months
hard palate repair - 10 months
fistula repair - scheduled March 14th
mookie59

Postby samjune79 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:23 am

He rolled over twice on Sunday, so I guess he knows how to do it again. It took him 26 days post surgery. This makes me feel really good. Also, he ate some baby food for his Grandmother. Yea! So, I guess I'm going to start some solids.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate