Speech Question

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Speech Question

Postby jacksmom » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:44 pm

I know a lot of the Mom's with older children probably don't check in as often, but I was wondering about speech outcomes after palate repair. Jackson is still not really making any other sounds besides Ma-Ma. He tries to say other things, but it still just comes out as an MMM sound. Our speech therapist has been coming once a month, but after my concern at our last visit, she will be coming once a week for now on. Jackson is only 13 months, so I'm really not sure what to expect from him. How has everyone else's speech progressed after surgery, and does anyone have any tips on working with him on the speech issues? Or, just does anyone else share my concerns?
Thank you all in advance!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Speech

Postby Heide » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:11 am

Hi Allison,

Great minds must think alike, I was just about to put a post up about speech also. Our little one, 19 months, was making noises but no identifying words with the noises (i.e. she can say mama or dada but doesn't really to call us). After her palate surgery in Feb (13 mo), I could tell she was frustrated but she simply did not "want" to communicate with words. We had two speech therapy appointments and she was making a range of sounds but was not even trying to use them to communicate, just pointing. At about 16 months we took a "sing and sign" language class and it really seemed to help. She quickly learned a few signs to help her with what she wanted (i.e. milk, no, out). While I can't prove it, I think learning the signs has helped her move forward; just this week she started actually using a few words. The word she is really able to use appropriately is "mine" (her daycare teacher said she first used it in response to a classmate trying to take her giraffe:)

It sounds like your speech therapist is really proactive - how wonderful. This month our little one just started in our county's birth to 3 program and at this point she is on a once every two week schedule. We have also had about 3 visits through our health care but the coverage is limited. The only advice I might suggest, is to try to incorporate some sign language (if you have not already) - our speech therapist supports it and also suggests that we mimic her noises in play and let her be loud (no worries as the older one loves to play this type of game with her :) If you "google" ASL signs there is a resource to look up signs on the web and we made some "flash cards" for us to learn them as a family.

In closing, I appreciate your post as it helps to remind me that these are issues faced by other parents too. Have a wonderful weekend and if you have any speech tips, please let me know. H
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Speech

Hi Allison,

Great minds must think alike, I was just about to put a post up about speech also. Our little one, 19 months, was making noises but no identifying words with the noises (i.e. she can say mama or dada but doesn't really to call us). After her palate surgery in Feb (13 mo), I could tell she was frustrated but she simply did not "want" to communicate with words. We had two speech therapy appointments and she was making a range of sounds but was not even trying to use them to communicate, just pointing. At about 16 months we took a "sing and sign" language class and it really seemed to help. She quickly learned a few signs to help her with what she wanted (i.e. milk, no, out). While I can't prove it, I think learning the signs has helped her move forward; just this week she started actually using a few words. The word she is really able to use appropriately is "mine" (her daycare teacher said she first used it in response to a classmate trying to take her giraffe:)

It sounds like your speech therapist is really proactive - how wonderful. This month our little one just started in our county's birth to 3 program and at this point she is on a once every two week schedule. We have also had about 3 visits through our health care but the coverage is limited. The only advice I might suggest, is to try to incorporate some sign language (if you have not already) - our speech therapist supports it and also suggests that we mimic her noises in play and let her be loud (no worries as the older one loves to play this type of game with her :) If you "google" ASL signs there is a resource to look up signs on the web and we made some "flash cards" for us to learn them as a family.

In closing, I appreciate your post as it helps to remind me that these are issues faced by other parents too. Have a wonderful weekend and if you have any speech tips, please let me know. H
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Speech

Hi Allison,

Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby samjune79 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:58 pm

A friend of mine has a then 2 year old that had not spoken a word other than mamma. Her doctor was really concerned. Really, this child had no reason for not speaking. Her thought on it was not to push and just allow him time to become more confident to become verbal. Ok, in my opinion if his lack of verbal communications is interfering with your life and causing stress around the house then I would be aggressive with getting him to become verbal (like if he is screaming to get what he wants or just pointing and saying ahhh. Biting, hitting, or pulling others). But, if you can understand his wants and needs without him being verbal, then just give him time. I think, again in my opinion, that if you use force to get verbal communication then you are wasting time and energy into something that isn't going to happen until he is ready when you could have just relaxed and enjoyed your time with your child. As long as there isn't anything medically or emotionally enabling him from speaking, I think all children will develop just fine.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate