Ordering Nipples

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Ordering Nipples

Postby Samm » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:12 pm

Can ya'll give some info on where to buy nipples.

Our son is not here yet, but we have had talked to the surgeon and the team and they have thrown out a few names here and there, but Until avery is born and they can access the cleft first hand we have no idea.
Avery BCLP
8/10/2007
Samm

Postby jacksmom » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:47 am

Samm, wow the time is almost here! Are you just going to buy a little of everything, and see what Baby Avery likes? Here are a few websites that may help.
Pigeon Feeders: www.childmed.com
Haberman Bottles: www.medela.com
*I don't think you can order online from medela, but you can get the item numbers and call.
Soft mead -johnson bottles: www.enfamil.com
Good Luck! Be sure and keep us posted when baby Avery arrives. Also, if you have already had a consult with a PS, maybe their occupational therapist can give you a few bottles to try until you figure out what he's going to like!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby Samm » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:02 am

hey allison
We have met our Surgeon, met the facial team yesterday.
We are having Avery at Emory, but the team is at Atlanta Childrens Center, we will have to takr Avery there the week we bring him home for feeding instruction. Then within the next 2 weeks we see our Surgeon again to talk about surgery.

I just thought to start looking for bottles/nipples so we have an idea where to buy.

Thank you for your info, we surely appreciate it.

I will keep ya'll in the loop, kelle goes in august 9th, and on the 10th they will induce labor.

We have had the perfect pregnancy, shes considered high risk cause shes 40 and they are taking Avery a week early, or about 6 days early lol.
Avery BCLP
8/10/2007
Samm

Postby Z-Pup » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:38 pm

Samm,

Zach is recently off the bottle. I have about 4 nipples that have NOT been used, the bottles obviously have. We use the Pigeon nipple and bottle for 10 months and NEVER had a problem. I'd be willing to send you a nipple and bottle so that you don't have to buy it, so you can see if that is the way you want to go.

As I said the nipples haven't been used, I think the holes have actually "grown" back together so you'd have to poke those with a knife, and the bottles have all been ran thru the dishwasher.

Let me know and I'll give you my email addy so you can give me your snail mail addy.
Lots of Love,

Tia
Zachary 9-21-06 Unilateral Cleft Lip & Palate lovingly called Z-Pup after Daddy, who btw is O-Dawg. :)

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby heather » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:48 pm

Eyson, unilateral lip bilateral palate, used the pigeon nipples as well. I have a phone number you can call to order the nipples. The great thing about pigeon nipples is they will work with just about any regular bottle (Walmart Parents Choice, Gerber, Nuk). That was one of my biggest selling points was how much cheaper they were, not to mention Eyson took to them immediately and is still doing wonderfully on them. Babies can feed themselves at their own rate with the pigeon nipples. They don't rely on you to squeeze the bottle for them. That was something I liked, as well. Let me know if you would like that phone number. Heather
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ordering nipples

Postby racheleok » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:35 pm

Hello...My son has a unilateral cleft lip and we use the Red Preemie nipples from Ross Labs. My doctor showed us hoe to make a cross cut hole by flipping the nipple inside out and using a razor. You can make the whole custom to how your child needs it. The nipples come in a box of 42 for $42.00. Since they are preemie nipples, they are very soft for the baby to suckle on.
ImageImage

ImageImage
racheleok

Postby sodapop » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:02 pm

Hello, my daughter Vada was born 8/13/06, with a complete left unilateral cleft lip/palate, we have used the Haberman feeder since birth and found that was what worked best. We tried others, the pigeon and Mead Johnson bottles but they didnt work as well. Here is a website that you can order from although we never really had to. http://mybreastpump.com/habermanfeederpage.html
The Children's Hospital in Seattle (where she has had all her surgeries and consults and care) sends us enough bottles every month (we just call and order them) and she has state insurance for her secondary insurance so we have never paid. I would reccomend seeing if he would be eligible for state or any special needs programs in your state and they really take care of everything for you. Otherwise those bottles are pricey! And because they have little or no suction (depending on the baby) they like to gum the nipple so they break down really fast and for a while (when she first started teething)we were going through a bottle a week! Good luck to you! I see the pic is up so he must be here!
Maria
sodapop
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Samm » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:53 pm

I dont really know how to clasify what Avery has, it looks like he has no palate, no front lip or bottom area of his nose. He is in NICU At Emory in Atlanta, low birth weight and tube feeding, hopefully he will come home this week so we can go see the Surgeon.

He is precious. I feel very blessed.
Avery BCLP
8/10/2007
Samm

Postby jacksmom » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:18 am

Wow! I can't believe it's already August! Seems like just yesterday that you were posting about your ultrasound! Time flies!
Baby Avery is going to be just fine! You guys will be in our prayers over the next few weeks as you get in a routine. Hopefully he will get to come home soon.
Hang in there and keep us posted on Avery's progress! Congratulations on your precious new addition! God has big plans for all of our special little ones!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby jacksmom » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:18 am

Wow! I can't believe it's already August! Seems like just yesterday that you were posting about your ultrasound! Time flies!
Baby Avery is going to be just fine! You guys will be in our prayers over the next few weeks as you get in a routine. Hopefully he will get to come home soon.
Hang in there and keep us posted on Avery's progress! Congratulations on your precious new addition! God has big plans for all of our special little ones!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate