I'm new... just wanted to say hi.

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

I'm new... just wanted to say hi.

Postby tigerlilly149 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:45 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, and just wanted to say hi to everyone!

My son Ethan was born on April 23, 2007. He was 7lbs 7oz and 20 inches long. He was born with a incomplete unilateral cleft lip. His pallate is just fine... thank goodness.

Ethan has been such a wonderful baby. He has such a loving personality. He LOVES attention. He's definitely a spoiled kid... especially by mom. :):) His feedings have been doing wonderfully (using Haaberman feeders). He weighed 12lbs 7 oz at his 2 month appointment.

Ethan has his first surgery on August 8, 2007. I'm a nervous wreck about it... I take one day at a time. I am so nervous about anesthesia and just him going under the knife in general. This first surgery is for the muscle around his lip. His muscle that was supposed to fuse is on the left side and is pulling his left nostril down. So the doctors are going to disconnect it and put the muscle where it should be. The second surgery will be to connect the lip entirely.

I cant wait to get to know everyone... and I hope that I can contribute what I've learned to people who have questions.

Have a great day!
Ethan Alexander
April 23, 2007
tigerlilly149

Postby jacksmom » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:24 pm

Congratulations on your new little one! He is precious! Looks like he is eating REALLY well! :wink: They grow too fast! Just wanted to say HI!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby tigerlilly149 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:25 pm

Yep he's growing like a weed. He just eats and eats. However, now he's starting to slow down a bit b/c he's teething. So maybe he'll stay a little peanut for a little bit longer :wink:
Ethan Alexander
April 23, 2007
tigerlilly149

Postby pkett2 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:47 pm

Congrats! He is just beautiful!
I was wondering though, why do you have to use the Haaberman if his palate is intact. Dino had an incomplete unilateral cleft lip & he was able to nurse. Actually he still is...that boy nursed better than my other children. Dino only needed one surgery to correct his lip, I read Ethan needs two, poor baby.

Good Luck, Is his your first?
April

Tommy 1/19/98
Bianca 5/1/02
Cecilia 7/21/04
Dino 10/5/06 IUCL
pkett2
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby heather » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:43 pm

Hello and welcome. My son Eyson was born incomplete unilateral lip and bilateral palate. If you have any questions I would be happy to help. Here is a glance at my son before and after so that you can see the results. Good luck and everything will be just fine. Heather
Eyson Before:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117 ... months.jpg

Eyson After:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117 ... egrass.jpg
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby tigerlilly149 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:01 am

Thank You! Yep, Ethan is my first. :):) He's been such a joy.

We tried breastfeeding, but Ethan didn't want anything to do with it (little stinker). He cannot latch onto a regular nipple, so we have to use the Haaberman. We don't need to squeeze the nipple for him anymore for formula to come out, but he needs the nipple just for suction.

At first, our surgeon thought we'd get away with one surgery. However, when we went in for our consultation appointment, he said that b/c of the way his mouth is, we'd have to do two. He says he can do it with one, but he says his lip would be flat and not have the little indent like you and I have. He says with the second, he can make him look as if he never had the problem.

I guess its hard to type what the surgeon is saying, b/c its easier to talk in person b/c then I can show you what he's talking about.... I hope I'm not confusing you :):)
Ethan Alexander
April 23, 2007
tigerlilly149

Postby tigerlilly149 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:03 am

Awww, Eyson is soo cute! He looks great! That definitely puts me at ease. I'm still really nervous. :):)

I will definitely keep you in mind if I have any questions. I'll probably have a ton after the surgery on the 8th.
Ethan Alexander
April 23, 2007
tigerlilly149

Postby amambroyan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:01 pm

Hi Tigerlilly,

I want to wish you luck on your little one's surgery. I'm sure everything will go smoothly. My daughter Lianna was born with a small unilateral cleft lip and her palate was not affected. Her surgery is on August 21st, 2007. I'm so scared, anxious and worried. She's only 3 months old.

My one big concern is that I've been breastfeeding her for over 3 months now and I have a feeling that she won't accept anything but that!

Has anyone gone through this experience?

Thanks in advance!
Never lose hope!
amambroyan

Postby amambroyan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:01 pm

Hi Tigerlilly,

I want to wish you luck on your little one's surgery. I'm sure everything will go smoothly. My daughter Lianna was born with a small unilateral cleft lip and her palate was not affected. Her surgery is on August 21st, 2007. I'm so scared, anxious and worried. She's only 3 months old.

My one big concern is that I've been breastfeeding her for over 3 months now and I have a feeling that she won't accept anything but that!

Has anyone gone through this experience?

Thanks in advance!
Never lose hope!
amambroyan

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate