Hi, out of town(?) cleft in the soft palate

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Hi, out of town(?) cleft in the soft palate

Postby Maurice » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:37 pm

Hi everybody, first i want to congratulate the mods on a great site.

Well, my little baby boy Alex was born June 12 with a cleft in the soft palate, everybody says he look like me :). As many parents here the initial shock for us was very difficult but the past month everything has being going really nice. I live in Mexico, actually on a southern state, in Tabasco, which is near cancun by the way :), and there are not a lot of medical options down here. We are planning a trip to Mexico City to meet a team, which is supposedly one of the best ones in the country. The big problem we have found in our research is that in Mexico there are not that many teams to choose from. There are a lot of PS that can help us, but in most cases "we" need to find the rest of the medical team, which is not probably the most efficient option. Anyways, we have some relatives in Philly and we asked them to ask some questions in the Chidlren´s Hospital and they said the doctors we can meet there are Dr. Kirshner or Dr. Low, so we are thinking on making the trip. Any experiencies with this PS would be really appreciated.

The big question we have is the average cost of the surgery. I mean, they´ve told us the cost of the appointment but obviously they couldn´t find out the cost of the surgery because of the specifics. I know it is probably expensive, from what we heard of the medical services in the US, and we have good money saved, but I hope you guys can help me to find out what is the average cost because of the bank operations we need to make.

As we have find out, time is important to get the best results, and with the passport and visa process for our baby that takes about a month, we think that when we make the trip he is going to be a little over 3 months, and we want to be ready for anything, hoping for the best. Well, long story short, we need some info :).

Thanks in advance guys.
Maurice

Postby jacksmom » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:19 am

Maurice, Hi and congratulations on your new little boy. My son Jackson had his cleft palate repaired in April. We have insurance, but it looks like, from the statements they have sent, that they paid about $40,000 for everything. It probably was a little more counting the ENT replacing ear tubes. (they did that at the same time) Have you looked into any of the Shriner's hospitals here? I'm not sure how they handle children from out of the country, but you should look into it. Then there would be no cost to you. Good luck figuring everything out!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Hey

Postby Maurice » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:15 pm

Hey jacksmom, thanks for your answer. i´ve checked the shrines website and apparently there is one of the system´s hospital in Mexico City, although according to the website only Shriner´s Hospital in Chicago is the one with the palate program. The good news is that getting all the info is going to be much easier and in spanish heh.
Maurice

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate