Home from Palate Surgery!

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Home from Palate Surgery!

Postby Z-Pup » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:07 am

Zach had his palate surgery last Wed. We came hom on Thursday. All I can say is THANK GOD IT IS OVER! LOL

He had a bad time coming out of the surgery this time, my goodness he cried for hours and hours on end. I just knew I was IN FOR IT in the coming up weeks. But finally we got him settled down about 6 that night, and he slept on my chest til about 11 that night, when I could finally get him to lay down in the crib for the rest of the night.

We got to come home Thursday, he still wasn't drinking alot but he was on IV fluids, and he had eaten some baby food.

I think coming home was the best medicine for us all. He was crawling all around and acting like nothing was wrong by the time we got home.

So here we are the Monday after surgery and all is going well. We are still eating thru the syringe a little, but getting better with the sippy cup every day, it will be nice not to have to worry about bottles anymore LOL. Because I refuse to make it these two weeks to just go back to the bottle.

Here is him with my mom and very preggers sister before surgery, we are waiting to take him back.

This is the morning after eating some baby food:
Lots of Love,

Tia
Zachary 9-21-06 Unilateral Cleft Lip & Palate lovingly called Z-Pup after Daddy, who btw is O-Dawg. :)

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

congratulations

Postby Heide » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:11 pm

Just a note to say its wonderful to hear that things are going so well. Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby sunshine_81 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:02 am

Hi Tia

it's comforting to know that it's manageable and you & your family is coping well...

I'm kind of stressed and nervous about my daughter's surgery on 31 Jul..
:(

Keeping my fingers crossed and cant wait for everything to be over...

Irene
sunshine_81

Postby Z-Pup » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:23 pm

Irene,

Well it's Thursday, one week home from the hospital. He is drinking WONDERFULLY from the sippy cup! I packed up bottles yesterday LOL.

His appetite is back full force, he's still not able to eat "finger foods" quite yet, but by next Tuesday with the Doctor's say so we will be back to normal, thankfully.

OMG he started walking Monday! LOL

Alot of ppl have said that their little ones have suffered from night terrors for some time after surgery. Zach has never done this, he may of got it all out right after surgery. but I really think it's because he didn't have alot of morphine for pain management. We had to give him some after he came out of surgery, but didn't have any since then. I don't know if that was the case or not, but that is my thoughts on it :)

But all is good on this end, I've actually just taken off his arm restraints for a lil while, he hasn't put his fingers in his mout yet...but as soon as he does I'll put them back on.

I'll be glad when you come on here and tell us you are back home and all is well. Good Luck!
Lots of Love,

Tia
Zachary 9-21-06 Unilateral Cleft Lip & Palate lovingly called Z-Pup after Daddy, who btw is O-Dawg. :)

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby sodapop » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:59 am

Hello, dont know if you remember me or not. My daughter Vada was born last August, we had her lip repair done at 5 months and now her palate surgery is August 14th at Childrens in Seattle, WA. I am so glad to hear Zach is doing good he looks great in the pictures. I think you are right about the morphine and night terrors. Vada had morphine at her lip/nose repair and it was horrible! She kept waking up every five minutes and screaming bloody murder and then would just as fast fall back asleep, not that I could sleep through it. Definetly gonna tell them not much of that this time! Question: Do you think it is better to let them sleep in a crib or with you in the hospital? They offer a family bed or a crib at childrens and at her last surgery I chose the bed together. She sleeps in a crib by herself now through the whole night (10-12 hours at least) and I dont want to form bad habits but do you think it would hurt for the night or two? Or should I stop being such a worried mommy and put her in the crib at the hospital? Just wondered what your opinion was. And did Zach use a sippy at all before surgery? Vada does for water, juice and formula at lunchtime but morning and evening is still a bottle. Is the sippy easier for them after surgery?

Maria
sodapop
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Z-Pup » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:36 am

Yes Maria I remember you....I remember how crazy it was that Vada and Zach's cleft looked so much alike. I had pulled up one of Vada's pics and showed it to my husband, and he wanted to know where I got the blanket from!! LMAO

As for the bed, if she would sleep with you then I'd go that way, maybe you could get some sleep too. Zach has NEVER been in bed with us. And has only one other time taken a nap in my arms and he was TINY then LOL. He just LOVES to be in his own bed. But he did sleep on my chest/lap the day of surgery for almost 6 hours, this was after we had 6 hours of screaming crying. So I would of let him sleep ANYWHERE and if it was on me then SO be it. I finally had to pee so bad my eyes were swimming LOL.

As to the sippy cup...Zach knew what it was, and even would pick it up and drink out of it a little...but the fact of loosing the bottles wasn't hard at all...it is just the fact of getting someting in him, because he did NOT want a sippy until the MONDAY after surgery...so I had to feed him through a syringe. Wasn't fun, but you gotta do what ya gotta do. Right now we haven't had a bottle in 16 days, and are totally on a sippy cup...he just won't hold the darn thing! Ah well one thing at a time. :lol:

I hope Vada is doing well...I'd love to see some pics....you can email me if you wanna... z-pup @ hotmail.com just take the spaces out of course.
Lots of Love,

Tia

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby sodapop » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:53 pm

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you..been busy! I am going to try to see if I remember if i can post a pic of Vada so hopefully soon! Hope everything is going good with Zach!

Maria
sodapop
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate