Mason has had his surgery!

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Mason has had his surgery!

Postby nikkie8622 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:02 pm

Hi , all , i thought id pop back in to let you all know that Mason had his surgery on the 12Th of June and is doing extremely well.
I had the hardest time convincing myself that it was all for the best though, it felt like id taken him in to the hospital with "nothing" wrong with him and when he came out of surgery he looked soo ill and was hysterical for about an hour afterwards then fell asleep for about 4 hours, he woke up in a pretty good mood though so i was grateful for that , he was on the fluid drip from the Tuesday (day of the op) till the Thursday morning when he came home. He was a little minx though lol, he kept jumping around on the bed and setting off all the alarms on the monitors lol , they eventually came in and turned them off and told us to tell them when he went to sleep and they would turn them back on lmao :)
Oh yeah , i forgot to add, he had never said dadda before , but when he woke up after the surgery he looked up at me and said mamma , then looked over at his daddy and said dadda, up until that point i hadn't cried, but it all then came out in tears of relief.
To get him drinking is fluids though we took the top from his bottle and used it like a cup , much easier , if that doesn't work id advise anyone to use a medicine syringe , try anything to get fluids into them :)

However since the surgery he has not been sleeping very well at all and keeps waking up screaming , not pain screaming but night terror way , do you think it could be that?
nikkie8622

glad to hear the surgery went well

Postby Heide » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:57 am

congratulations on Mason's surgery. Our little one also had the night terrors for the first few weeks, slowly they got better. hopefully you are able to get some rest too! Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:54 pm

Nikkie, sounds like exactly what Jackson did after surgery. He would fall asleep and then wake up 30 minutes later screaming! I finally quit giving him the pain meds and just started him on Motrin, and that seemed to help. It lasted for about 10-12 days, and then he started to get back on his normal schedule. But, it was a LONG 10 days! :cry:
Good Luck!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate