Mederma for Kids

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Mederma for Kids

Postby samjune79 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:38 pm

I'm going to ask my doctor about this, but just wanted to know if anyone has thought of this or asked your doctors about using it. Or let me know if you have used this already. I have a tube of the regular Mederma that my mom gave me after her minor surgery for something personal, but she never used it and thought that maybe I could put it on my son, but I'm not too sure about using it on an infant. What experiences or knowledge do you all have? Also, I can't help post a picture. I am very camera happy.

Image[/img]
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

scar treatment

Postby Heide » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:16 am

good morning, we asked our ps about it and he suggested that vaseline or aquaphor would be just as effective, so we have been using aquaphor since the lip surgery. Recently, at the advice of our forum friend down under, I purchased some bio oil for massaging our daughter's lip. They just started carrying the product at our walgreens, it seems to work better for the massaging but probably doesn't "last" as long on the lip, so I still try to use aquaphor once in a while. In addition, we try very hard to put sunscreen on everyday. Please let me know what your ps says. Have a great day, Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby heather » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:59 am

We asked our surgeon about it as well and he said that it's not harmful and we could use it, but it's just not been proven to be effective. So he gave us some silicone patches to put on Eyson's lip to soften the scar. Ask you surgeon. Maybe that would be the way to go.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby bjand3 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:20 pm

I have recently talked with someone I work with, and he reccommended HA from prescription. It is a topical, prescription based Hyaluronan and he said it works wonders with wrinkles, scarring and burns.

Our little one is not here yet, but I saw this topic line and thought I would throw it out there.
bjand3

Postby jacksmom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:15 pm

Samantha, that is a precious picture of Kyle! He looks AWESOME! Talk to ya soon!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby mellyott » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:18 pm

I realize this is an old topic, but hopefully it will help someone. My daughter's surgeon recommended rubbing baby lotion in a circular motion on the lip. She had her surgery six months ago, we are still doing it, although we probably don't have to. Her scar has healed greatly, it is virtually unrecognizable to those who do not know about her cleft.
mellyott

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate