Palate Surgery Next Week!!!

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Palate Surgery Next Week!!!

Postby Augiesmom » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:51 pm

I haven't posted in a while although I check in several times a week. My son Augie (BCLP) is having his palate surgery on June 21st (YIKES!!!). I am a little more nervous about this surgery than I was about the lip repair. We haven't gotten him off the bottle yet (of course:) )and he really relies on the bottle for comfort. In general, I think I am nervous about his recovery. Please keep us in your thoughts next week and I will let everyone know how it goes. Ellyn
augustus "augie" (born 8/5/06 BCLP)
lip repair (11/21/06)
palate repair (06/21/07)
Augiesmom

all the best

Postby Heide » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:30 pm

Dear Ellyn,
our families thoughts are with you and your family and you will be in our prayers on the 21st for a sucessful surgery and quick recovery. For our daughter (bclp) the first two weeks were difficult (the hospital stay was the longest period without sleep), so try to rest beforehand. We are now 4 months post op and those challenging days (and nights) are a fading memory. It is amazing how fast they heal. keep us updated. Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Heide » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:40 pm

just a note, to apologize if anyone reads the above post and thinks I was speaking for any family other than my own, its poorly worded but the wish is sincere. Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:19 pm

Ellyn, My son Jack had his palate repair on April 18th. Heide is right...the first 2 weeks are pretty rough! (There is a post I wrote 5 days post op when I was going CRAZY...you'll have to read it!) I was lucky enough to have lots of help, or else I'm sure not sure how I would have made it! The hardest part for me was when they brought him out of surgery. He was bleeding and swollen, and just looked scared to death! It was pitiful! That was 8 weeks ago, and it already seems like FOREVER ago! Jackson is such a happier baby and is eating like a little pig, and he hasn't spit up ONE time since his repair! He went right back to taking his bottle about an hour after surgery, but wouldn't take very much at a time. He just took a sip here and there. i had heard so many horror stories about dehydration, that I was doing everything I could to get fluids in! Just be patient! I'm sure you will all make it through just fine! There will be a lot of tears (yours and his!),but just know that we will all be thinking of you and saying a prayer for your little one! (and Mom too!) When this is all over, you will be SO relieved! It is a good feeling to have this all behind you! Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby Augiesmom » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:51 pm

Thank you for the well wishes and the prayers, both are appreciated. Jacksmom...I did read your post after surgery so I know there were some rough times. I feel like I am betraying Augie in some way by voluntarily having this procedure done. It was so hard to walk him up to the operating room door for his lip repair and hand him over to the anesthesiologist. I know having this surgery is what is best for Augie and I know from all our your stories that the hard part is only temporary but I have to admit I am worried.
lip repair (11/21/06)
palate repair (06/21/07)
Augiesmom

Postby jacksmom » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:45 pm

Ellyn, it's not voluntary...it has to be done so that he can progress as a normal, happy little boy! I think you would be crazy if you weren't worried....that's what mommies are for!
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby Augiesmom » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:33 pm

I know the surgery is necessary and I know that he will benefit tremendously from the surgery. I guess it is just "mommy" fears rearing their ugly heads.
lip repair (11/21/06)
palate repair (06/21/07)
Augiesmom

Postby Jeff Alterman » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:36 pm

(Augiesmom) Ellyn:

I'm sure that you're nervous over Aguie's palate repair surgery. In the end, Augie will certainly benefit from it and you won't have to deal with those lengthy feedings anymore. Once the palate surgery is performed, you'll probably have it a lot easier.

Jeff Alterman at alterman156@verizon.net
Jeff Alterman
Support Member
Support Member

Postby sunshine_81 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:33 am

Hi Ellyn,

i can perfectly understand what you are going through.. my daughter's palate surgery is scheduled to be on 30 Jul 07.. but here I am getting freaked out already...

Just want you to know that Aguie will be in my prayers......

Hang in there..
sunshine_81

Postby gc0447 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:59 pm

For: "sunshine_81":

Hello. My name is Georgette Couvall (Dr. Salyer's patient: http://www.worldcf.org). How are you? Here is my Personal Story link:

http://worldcf.org/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=39 (Craniofacial anomalies)

I wish your daughter the best of luck with her upcoming surgery. I'm sure everything will work out wonderful for her.

By the way, I'm from Illinois. If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? Just wondered.

Sincerely,

Georgette Couvall
gc0447
Support Member
Support Member

Postby Augiesmom » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:15 pm

Hi Georgette,
My son is having surgery on June 21st. Not to be rude but you already asked me months ago where I was from. Thank you so much for your well wishes, I appreciate it.
lip repair (11/21/06)
palate repair (06/21/07)
Augiesmom

Postby gc0447 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:20 pm

For: "Angiesmom":

Hi. How are you?

I was actually asking "sunshine_81" where he/she is from.

Sincerely,

Georgette Couvall
gc0447
Support Member
Support Member

Postby jacksmom » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:39 pm

Good luck tomorrow! You will definitely be in our thoughts and prayers! Be sure to let us know how it goes!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby Augiesmom » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:55 pm

Thank you for the well wishes and i will let you know how it goes as soon as I can. I am much more relaxed about it now and I am ready to help make Augie's recovery as smooth as possible.
lip repair (11/21/06)
palate repair (06/21/07)
Augiesmom

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate