Sippy Cup .....need faster flow sippy

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Sippy Cup .....need faster flow sippy

Postby Z-Pup » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:05 pm

Hey

We are trying to transition Zach from the bottle to the sippy, mainly because his surgeon wants him off before palate surgery. He could go back to the bottle two weeks after, but why??

Here is the deal, he really has no problem with the concept of the sippy, it is just NOT fast enough for him.

He's been using the Nuby soft spout, but as I said it's not fast enough.

And it really needs to continue to be a soft spout w/valve (do they make soft spouts with removable valves?) because obviously he doesn't know how to "suck" so he bites the spout.

So my question is in general does anyone know of a faster soft spout sippy? (that was a tongue twister LOL)

Then specifically to the cleft mommas...what sippy did YOU use to transition?

Thanks so much
Lots of Love,

Tia
Zachary 9-21-06 Unilateral Cleft Lip & Palate lovingly called Z-Pup after Daddy, who btw is O-Dawg. :)

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:04 am

Tia, one of the other moms made the suggestion to cut the hole a little bigger in the spout. It works, but the only problem is that cutting the hole bigger makes it spill, so I can't just let Jackson walk around with it, or it ends up everywhere! I also found a flip-top sippy cup at the dollar store that Jackson likes. It has a hard spout, but no valve. So it's easy for him to drink out of it, but it also spills. He still prefers his bottle most of the time anyway, and I'm not really pushing the sippy cup too much yet. I wouldn't worry too much about having him completely off of the bottle before surgery. Getting liquids in them after the palate repair is a huge struggle no matter what method you are using! A lot of our feedings the first two weeks were with a syringe, or just letting him sip out of a regular cup. After that, everything is much better, and it has been SO nice to not have everything coming out of Jackson's nose! Good luck and be sure to let us know when Zach's surgery is.
Oh, Gerber also makes a soft spout cup with three different flow speeds. I have seen some of the other moms mention using those. I think they have them at TARGET.
Allison
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby samjune79 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:03 pm

My son hasn't had his palate surgery yet, but I already got him a sippy cup that I will be introducing 2 weeks before his surgery at 6 months of age. I found 2 kinds and both have a removable valve. One is a starter with a latex spout but I tried it myself to see how hard it was to suck out without the valve and it was hard, the other one is still a soft spout with a removable valve and it is really easy to get milk out, again I tried myself. I haven't let my son try it yet he is a week shy of 5 months. Here is a picture of what I bought, it is a Gerber product. I can't wait to use it, I'm so tired of the disposable stuff already. Please keep me posted on what worked for you. I'll be doing this within the next 2 months myself. <br><br><br>[img][img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/samjune79/DSC01649.jpg[/img][/img]
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate