Bottles and Nipples

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Bottles and Nipples

Postby samjune79 » Wed May 16, 2007 8:13 am

Ok, I have heard that many of you are using different feeding styles. Well, in my area it is recommended to use the squeeze bottle with the orthodontic nipples. The nipples are the cheap ones you toss away after one use, however the CMS in my area says I can clean them and reuse them many times. I get 1 nipples for every 3 bottles. I think this is really gross and would like to have 1 nipple for every bottle and toss the entire system out every 2 weeks, but I just can't because they don't supply me with enough nipples. The bottles come with a standard nipple, why can't I just use them? So, I want to know what reason have doctors, cleft teams, or speech therapist have told you to why you should use the feeding method you are using and tell me what method that is. Thanks.
samjune79
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Thu May 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Samantha, we tried the squeeze bottles and they didn't work for us, so we use the haberman feeder. I think the main reason for the orthodontic nipple is just so that they can get better suction. If the others work, I don't see why you couldn't use them. Also, you can order more on the internet. They're not really that expensive. The bottles are at www.enfamil.com and the nipples are at www.rosstore.com
Just do what works best for you!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate