Massaging the lip!

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Massaging the lip!

Postby pkett2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:45 pm

Anyone have any pointers on how to massage the Dino's lip. It's been about 3 weeks after surgery. The Dr. wants me to start massaging his lip 3 times a day for 10 minutes. I can only get maybe a minute done. He screams!!!!
April

Tommy 1/19/98
Bianca 5/1/02
Cecilia 7/21/04
Dino 10/5/06 IUCL
pkett2
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby Z-Pup » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:25 am

April,

Are you sure the doc said 10 minutes?? My surgeon told us to do it 4 times a day for 10 SECONDS each. He hates it but he puts up with it LOL really has no choice LOL And I can see a change in the pulling of his lip since his surgery, that was in Jan.
Lots of Love,

Tia
Zachary 9-21-06 Unilateral Cleft Lip & Palate lovingly called Z-Pup after Daddy, who btw is O-Dawg. :)

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Hilla » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:47 am

Hello,

I think you should ask another Doctor´s opinion about it. Our Doctor said that we should leave the lip alone (we are naturally practicing mamam pappapap, that is good practice for the lip). We do put lotion to the scar three times a day. The scar should not be too dry.

-Laura
Hilla
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby Hilla » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:53 am

Laura here again..continue my writing..

When I put the lotion, of course I rub it in lightly. Otherwise we leave the scar alone.

-Laura
Hilla
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby pkett2 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:21 pm

Really? I was told that the scar is through three layers & without massaging the scar would turn hard & eventually start pulling upward. Massaging actually softens the scar & increases blood flow to the area. Has anyone else been told not to massage the lip?
April

Tommy 1/19/98
Bianca 5/1/02
Cecilia 7/21/04
Dino 10/5/06 IUCL
pkett2
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby Z-Pup » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:00 am

We were told to leave it alone for the first month, and then when we went back for the month check up our surgeon told us as I said above to start massaging the lip for the same reasons you stated, but we were told 4 times a day for 10 seconds each, and more is great too but to make sure those 40 seconds got in.

I'm also putting some coco butter on it to help soften it as well.
Lots of Love,

Tia
Zachary 9-21-06 Unilateral Cleft Lip & Palate lovingly called Z-Pup after Daddy, who btw is O-Dawg. :)

Z-Pup
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby heather » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:44 pm

We left Eyson's lip alone until he went back for his check-up a month after surgery. His scar had hardened so much that it pulled up quite a bit. We were given silicone patches to soften the scar and we're also supposed to massage the scar down as much as possible. The surgeon didn't give us an exact amount. All he said was as much as possible. It's not supposed to be done hard. Eyson hates it as well, so I wait until he goes to sleep and then I do it then. Ask your surgeon about the silicone patches. They seem to be helping.
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Mum from down under » Sun May 13, 2007 3:40 am

we where told to use bio oil 2x a day in fact I still do great stuff give it ago
Trish & Evan

Evan (01.05.06) UCLP

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Mum from down under
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Jacobsmommy » Fri May 18, 2007 1:27 am

My doctor didn't tell me to rub my sons lip, and it's a ball. Then he tried to fix it and said the scar tissue was too hard, and still didn't tell me to massage it. But I met a lady about a month ago and she said her son also had bilateral cleft lip and palate that had a ball, and his looked awesome. She said she massaged it. So since it's been six months since Jacobs last lip repair is it too late to massage it?
Britany & Jacob bcl&p
Jacobsmommy

Postby pkett2 » Fri May 18, 2007 7:43 pm

you know I wouldn't think so, any bit would help, you'd think. My Dr. told me to use Aquaphor. It's more of a lubricant to massage. I would do it if I were you. He's not going to like it though. But the rubbing should soften the tissue & bring blood flow to the area. Good luck!
April

Tommy 1/19/98
Bianca 5/1/02
Cecilia 7/21/04
Dino 10/5/06 IUCL
pkett2
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate