post palate repair and solids

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

post palate repair and solids

Postby carriesantos » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:51 pm

My daughter had her palate repaired on the 10th of April. She is doing great now except for one thing...eating solids. The food is still coming out of her nose. I'm not sure if this is normal. I called my PS and asked if this was any cause for concern. I didn't speak with him directly but the receptionist said to just come in on her normal post op appointment which is next week and not to worry about the food coming out of her nose. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Thanks, Carrie:)
carriesantos

Postby Heide » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:30 pm

Hi Carrie, Our little one is getting better keeping the food from coming out of her nose (it has been almost 10 weeks since the palate surgery for us). For her, now, the only time it seems to come out is if she eats real fast or sneezes. Congratulations again on a successful palate surgery. Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby hatchedk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:58 pm

Andy had his palate repaired almost 2 mos ago and he still gets some food out his nose....I heard it is normal.
My aunt who is in her 50's with repaired cleft palate says she can still get food out her nose on command. What a skill!
Karen...Mom to Katie 9/9/04(NCA) and Andrew 5/16/06 (UCLP)
hatchedk
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Thanks

Postby carriesantos » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:00 pm

Thanks for the tips. I guess I just thought we wouldn't have that problem after the repair. I think it bothers me more then it bothers her. Your right...what a skill(lol). Carrie:)
carriesantos

Postby babycole » Thu May 03, 2007 1:29 am

My son occassionally will have stuff come out of his nose, especially if it is softer.
Desiree
mom to Drew & Cole (UCL & BCP)

cleft lip repaired 3/06
palate repaired 11/06
tubes replaced 3/07

www.drewandcole.com

babycole

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate