Hi , im new and have a son with cleft of the soft palate

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Hi , im new and have a son with cleft of the soft palate

Postby nikkie8622 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:25 pm

Hi , i just thought id introduce myself to you all :) Im Nikkie , 21 from the Uk , i have a little girl who is 3 , named reanna , and a 7 months old baby boy named Mason , he is due his surgery next month to repair it , and to say the least im terrified :(
Anyway im looking forward to getting to know you all and sharing the joy and tears along the way :)
Thanks Nikkie
nikkie8622

welcome

Postby Heide » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:32 am

welcome and all the best for your son's upcoming surgery. Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:42 pm

Nikki, welcome to the group! I also have a nine month old son with a cleft palate. His surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday, the 18th, and I am so ready to have it behind us! This website has been a great resource for information! Let me know if you need anything!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby nikkie8622 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Thanks : :D im so glad now i have somewhere to come! ive been going through this on my own as i dont know anyone else going through it , Jacksmom , how is your sons speech? can he say daddy , or dadda ?
Im trying to teach mason but all i succeed in doing is making him laugh!
He can say mamanna , for reanna his sister , mamma , for me , nanna , obvious :) tanya , his godmother , oh and he can also say nag nag nag lol.
nikkie8622

Postby jacksmom » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Nikkie, sorry it has taken me so long to respond! It has been a crazy week trying to get everything in order for Jackson's surgery tomorrow! To answer your question, the only sound he really makes is mamamma! Our PS said that we would start speech therapy after his surgery, so I will be anxious to see how that goes! Well, sorry to be so short, let me know if I can help! I will definitely let you know how the surgery went when we get back home! Take care of Mason!
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby HollyBee » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:19 pm

Hi Nikki! Welcome. My little guy has the same condition. We go on May 3rd for his check-up with the plastic surgeon and he told us that the surgery will likely be 6-8 weeks after that...so soon. I found this board after Graeme was born and I can tell you that it has been great.

Take Care
HollyBee
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Postby babycole » Thu May 03, 2007 1:39 am

Welcome! My son has recently started speech therapy. He says mama, here, wa wa and sometimes other words but that is all for now. His therapist thinks a lot of his problem is that he has a very talkative older brother :D .
Desiree
mom to Drew & Cole (UCL & BCP)

cleft lip repaired 3/06
palate repaired 11/06
tubes replaced 3/07

www.drewandcole.com

babycole

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate