Lip repair vs. palate repair

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Lip repair vs. palate repair

Postby CJParents » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:53 am

Hi,
My son will have his palate repaired in late May. I have read that the palate repair recovery is much worse than the lip repair recovery. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for your time...

CJ's mom
-Bob and Sunshyne (CJ's Parents)
CJParents

palate repair

Postby Heide » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:43 am

Hello, our little just had her palate repair in February and it was a longer recovery for us. I am sure every child is different but for our little one she hardly slept in the hospital at all, just kept pacing in her crib. I was fortunate to be able to take 3 weeks leave from work and am definitely glad I did; the first two weeks were rough sleep wise and she hated the no-nos on her arms but by the third we were pretty close to normal with her ready to return to daycare by week 4. Eating was definitely reduced for her but she has always been a light eater. Also, it was a pleasant surprise when the surgeon allowed us to use her cleft palate bottle right away. I wish you all the best and please let me know how it all turns out. Happy Easter
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Lip repair vs. palate repair

Postby Samm » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:38 pm

CJParents wrote:Hi,
My son will have his palate repaired in late May. I have read that the palate repair recovery is much worse than the lip repair recovery. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for your time...

CJ's mom

I too, am very interested. I will keep your children in our prayers.
Avery BCLP
8/10/2007
Samm

Postby hatchedk » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:45 pm

Believe it or not....our lip repair was 100 times worse than the palate. He was better day 2 after palate repair than he was 2 weeks after the lip repair.
I attribute it to him being older and more able to entertain himself. He also got a different pain med which helped him sleep (lortab) instead of one that zipped him up (Tylenol with codeine)
He didn't take a bottle for 10 days after surgery, he refused. He ate baby spoon food and yogurt. I was beginning to wonder if he would EVER go back to the bottle....and he did!
Just goes to show EVERY baby is sooo different!
You can read all about our surgeries if you want on our blog
katieandyhatch.blogspot.com
You need to go back to Feb to read about the palate surgery...
Karen...Mom to Katie 9/9/04(NCA) and Andrew 5/16/06 (UCLP)
hatchedk
Frequent Member
Frequent Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate