New here and with questions.

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

New here and with questions.

Postby daycon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:37 pm

Hello everyone! My husband and I have a 3 1/2 yr. old son born with a BC LP. We adopted Angelo in Nicaragua when he was days away from turning 2 but I met him when he was 2 months old as a volunteer in an orphanage and completely fell in love with him the first day. Two months before his 2ND birthday he was able to come live with us as our Foster Child. Then just days before his 2ND birthday the adoption was finally official.

He had his first lip surgery in Nicaragua when he was 4 mths. old and had his palate surgery and ear tubes inserted in San Antonio, TX on Halloween '05. He's met with the team once in February of last year and has the next one next month. He's been to the Dentist of few times for check ups. The PS along with the team told us that around the age of 4 he would be needing some cosmetic surgery on his nose and around 7-9 a bone graft. I read somewhere that the cosmetic is optional. Does anyone have any experience with the cosmetic nose surgery at this age? Is it necessary? Angelo hasn't asked me any questions about his BC LP but if he happens to ask why he needs surgery I'm not exactly sure how we'll explain it? Any suggestions? I will be asking the PS and team all of these questions but would really appreciate more feedback from the parents and loved ones. Angelo has also been going to speech therapy for about 1 1/2 years and pre-k for 2 1/2 and that has really helped him with his speech and we always get great comments on how broad his vocabulary is. He is truly our Angel.
daycon

Postby gc0447 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:41 pm

For: "daycon":

Hello. My name is Georgette Couvall (Dr. Salyer's patient: http://www.worldcf.org). Welcome to the group. How are you? Here is my Personal Story link:

http://worldcf.org/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=39 (Craniofacial anomalies)

I'm from Illinois. If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? Just wondered. I wish the best for all of you.

Sincerely,

Georgette Couvall
georgettecouvall@hotmail.com (Email)
gc0447
Support Member
Support Member

Postby daycon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:48 pm

Hi Georgette!

My husband and I are both from Texas but live in Monterrey, Mexico. My husband works for the State Department so we move around a lot.

I really enjoyed your story.
Thanks!
daycon

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate