spoon feeding

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

spoon feeding

Postby heather » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:26 am

Eyson is 5 months old now and supposed to be eating off of spoon. I am trying, believe me. He screams the entire time. It's a scream sounding like he's in pain. I don't know if it's because the food is being shoved up into what's open or what. Because most of the food is either spit out or it comes out his nose. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Or something else I can try? I'm going to say something to his surgeon tomorrow. Thanks for any help. Heather
Eyson Brentley Van Eycke
Born 11/8/06 UCL BCP
heather
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby Heide » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:56 am

Hi Heather, with our little one (BCLP) it worked better to hold the spoon sideways and put it in her mouth that way. also, we thickened up the food a little with cereal. Hope this helps, hang in there. Heide
Heide
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Postby jacksmom » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:50 pm

Heather, Jackson is nine months now and still not eating with a spoon! I tried everything and talked to several mom's on here about it, but he just won't do it! He does just like Eyson and screams the entire time, which makes more come out of his nose, which makes him even madder! After discussing it with the PS, he said that it was okay for him to be only on formula until after his palate repair. Formula has more calories than baby food anyway, and has helped with his weight gain. He is doing great, weighed 20 pounds last week.....just costing us a fortune in formula! I was really worried about spoon feeding for a while, but I was reassured that he would be fine and he is so far! His palate repair is April 18th, and after that I'm going to work on getting him to eat solids! I hope I didn't discourage you! Just wanted to let you know that you weren't the only one who has had problems! And even if you don't get Eyson to eat with a spoon, he'll be just fine! I can talk anytime if you need anything! Did I see on one of your other posts that you are a single mom? I can't imagine going through all of this alone! You must be one AWESOME Mom! :wink:
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Postby chicka-monkey » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:30 am

It's ok if he doesn't want to eat. He isn't ready. It is ok to keep him on baby formula until a year old. Skylar finally started eating about two weeks before her surgery. After her surgery at 11 months, she went straight to regular table food. She never did eat baby food too much. As long as your baby is gaining weight, he will be fine!
Carrie (user name chicka-monkey)

DD - 6/9/96
DS - 7/6/04
DD - 11/3/05 ~ bilateral cleft lip & palate ~
chicka-monkey
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate