Deciding on which Hospital/Surgeon to use

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Deciding on which Hospital/Surgeon to use

Postby Caden » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:56 pm

We have visited Dr. VanAalst at the UNC Medical Center and will be meeting a Dr. David Matthews in Charlotte, NC. I have read some of the forums posted here and would like some more insight on both surgeons. Our son is 3 weeks old and has a unilateral cleft lip and cleft palate on the right side. UNC wants to have the surgery in April. I have heard that Dr. Matthews likes to wait longer. Of course, we will find more about him when we go visit in March. Just would like to get some opinions from other patients. We want to pick the best place for Caden. Thanks.
Caden

Postby jdabliz2 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:11 pm

we took our son to shriners hospital in chicago. i cant begin to tell you how happy we are that we took him there! there are some down points but, the good things far outweigh the bad!!!!! check with your local shriners temple for information, they will be glad to help. they specialize in cleft lip/palate repair and, as far as im concerned no dr. can hold a candle to shriners. feel free to e-mail me back, and i can give you more info. p.s. its harder on you than your baby!! and congrats on your new bundle of joy!!!! joe
jdabliz2

Postby tkebino » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:59 am

Hello,
We used Dr. Matthews. He comes highly recommended. He is one of the best in the nation. If you go to see him be prepared to wait. He is a very busy man but will take the time to answer all your questions. His staff is wonderful and very caring. EJ loves Cheryl.

From my understanding he likes to wait to make sure that the child's growth is fine. EJ only had a cleft of the soft palate so I am not sure about the waiting on the lip repair.

I think that there is another mother who used the UNC Medical but i can not remember her screen. I know that she looked into both.

Just make sure you pick who like. I think that both places are great and do great jobs.

PM me if you want.
Tracy
DD Jessica 1/18/00
DS EJ(Eddie) 5/18/05 Cleft of Soft Palate
tkebino
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate