Cleft palate clinic was today

Children and adults with cleft lip and/or palate issues

Moderator: Moderators

Cleft palate clinic was today

Postby karleysmom » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:24 pm

We had our cleft palate clinic appointment today for Karley and boy was it a long day. We had to be there by 8AM and didn't get out until almost 1PM. We sat in a room and all of the different doctors came in to look at her, ask us questions and tell us what they thought. All in all it was very interesting, I'm looking forward to getting their report from the conference they had to talk about her situation. The only bad part of the day was when the plastic surgeon came in, looked at her palate and told us it was the worst and biggest he had seen all day out of all the kids he had seen. He drew us a picture and basically explained to us that she really has nothing up there at all. She has also been somewhat diagnosed with a touch of Pierre Robin Syndrome, which I had always kind of thought she might have. He first surgery may be moved up from the 9-12 month old time frame to now the 6-9 month old time frame. I haven't really heard a whole lot about the surgeries she'll have to endure and I'm already nervous. Now all we do is wait for the report and go from there as far as when the doctors want to schedule her first surgery.

Oh yeah, we also had to see her nutritionist today also, after the clinic. The good thing about that is that she has gone from 8lb 13oz to 9lb 8ozs in two weeks, which my husband and I are very happy about. It doesn't seem like alot but to us we'll take what we can get. She also seems to be eating alot more, we're up to 4 ounces now per feeding :D
-Karen 7/10/73 soft and hard cleft palate

Mom of....
Caleb 10/26/95 (NCA)
Will 4/23/97 (NCA) stepson
Karley 11/30/06 soft and hard cleft palate
karleysmom

Postby jacksmom » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:37 pm

Sometimes those clinic visits can be overwhelming! Sounds like Karley is doing good and gaining weight. Jackson's pediatrician said that he was two pounds behind at his six month check up, and then the next week, the plastic surgeon couldn't get over how big he was for a baby with a cleft palate....so I guess it just depends on who's perspective you're coming from! :? Jackson's surgery is in April and I already get sick when I think about it! I guess there is no way around it, I'm just ready to have it over with. Good Luck, and be sure to post when you find out what the doctors have to say.
Allison
Mom to:
Griffin- 6/22/04
Jackson- 6/29/06 (Bil cleft palate)
www.babysites.com/sites/astand/
jacksmom
Support Member
Support Member

Return to Cleft Lip and Palate